Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked cheese help needed

Options
AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can somebody walk me through the smoked cheese process? I've had the flu since Thanksgiving, so most of what I've read had floated in front of my eyes without it registering anywhere. :) I'm just now getting my voice back, and I don't think my family is happy about that...lol.[p]Anyway, from what I remember it's three briquettes of coal (I am assuming we are using lump, not actual briquettes) and a chunk of wood on top of that. I vaguely remember something about a pan of ice.... but beyond that, I am lost.[p]I bought some Tillamook sharp cheddar, regular cheddar, Swiss, and probably something else.[p]If you've had any luck with it, can you help me out?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Here's a couple of old threads I found on the topic - I'm sure some other folks will chime in too.[p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2006/messages/244196.htm[p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2006/messages/301981.htm[p]TRex
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Hey no worries! It was pretty easy. I did it on my small but see no reason it won't work on the large or any other, well except the mini.[p]I lit some lump, about a double handful, in a chimney starter. Starting with a perfectly cleaned out egg, lay this lit lump in the bottom and carefully lay some wood chips on top of it. Put in a indirect device (plat setter, Chubby ring, etc.) and then place a pan of ice on top of it. Then make sure your cheese is real cold, not froze, and put it on the grid. Cut your cheese in 2x2xwhatever size and let it smoke for at least 45 minutes. With as cold as it is up there you should have no trouble staying below 100 degrees.[p]Hope this helps. Maybe someone else will post the archive method. I had good results this way.

• AlaskanC
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]Thanks! I figured this would be the best time to try it since it's so freakin' cold out. :)[p]What was your favorite cheese for smoking?
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    TRex,[p]Oh. I guess I could have searched....lol... I am so brain dead right now.[p]Thanks ;)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Old Dave had 5 briquettes not lump. I think 3 chunks of wood. A pan ice on the wok ring in a small. Try to keep the temp around 60-90.
    Best of my short term memory. I will tell you this. I smoked some Baby Swiss with apple wood and it was great.[p]Don't freeze, we are. In the middle of 3 inches of an ice
    storm. Yea, they called for less than a 1/4. Egg is already froze shut. :([p]Mike

• AlaskanC,
    tillamook cheese is the best! now i have to go and get some more.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Having just recently gotten over the flu myself, I understand.[p]Glad you're feeling better.[p]TRex
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    I smoked gouda, swiss, some kind of fancy cheedar my wife bought, and some pepper jack. I'd have to say I liked the cheddar and the gouda the best, with pepper jack a close third. The swiss was just so so in my opinion. I used maple for wood. Too bad you missed most of the thread, there were a lot of opinions on which cheese and which wood to use. You got nothing but time, so smoke away!

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Basically, what you do is take all the lump out of your egg and start 5-6 charcoal briquets. When they are "ashed over" put your smoking wood on the briquets, then put your plate setter in place, legs up, then a pan full of ice on the plate setter, them the grid on the plate setter legs. Put your cheese on the grid and let 'er go for about one hour. The bottom vent should be opened 1/4-1/2 way and the daisy wheel opened a fraction. You may have to open the bottom vent and the daisy wheel during the smoke in order to get the coals to get the wood to 'asmokin.........

• AlaskanC
    Options
    Mike - that's the post I somewhat remember! I should try some tonight - it's warmed up to 28 degrees, but I think its still low enough to help keep things cool.
    From what I've read so far, Swiss cheese is the favorite, so I might give it a try.

• AlaskanC
    Options
    egret,[p]Ok, I'm going to try it.
    Didn't you say that Swiss was your favorite so far?

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    My favorite is extra sharp cheddar with apple wood......

• ronbeaux
    Options
    egret,
    Mine too! Only I used maple. Next time...

• AlaskanC
    Options
    egret,[p]I've got two small blocks of sharp cheddar in there right now, and I'm using a chunk of your apple wood. It should be good!
  • AlaskanC,
    What do you use to smoke your fish? We have a Big Chief, which will probably give better results than the egg, b/c of being able to hold temps lower. A traditional cold smoker would be even better. Its finally warmed up here in Anchorage, sitting at 20F now.

• AlaskanC
    Options
    Frozen,[p]I am not the fish smoker in my family, however I do cook lots of it. I am going to try some new ideas this summer and hopefully come up with a way to truly smoke salmon on the egg.[p]So you guys are at 20? Weird...we are at 28. Earthquake weather!
  • AlaskanC,[p]Did some sharp cheddar and gouda last weekend using the method described by everybody. The cheddar was very good and the gouda made for a delicious pizza this week. My only addition to what everyone has said is make sure your smoke is fairly mild before you put the cheese on. None of that nasty real white stuff. The cheese will pick up plenty of flavor over an hour or hour and a half.