Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I need help -- twice!

PRobinsonPRobinson Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need help for two cooks. I am ready to do a sirloin tip roast per Char-Woody's (1/23/2000) suggestion - 350 degrees till internal temp of 140 degrees, then in foil for another 1 - 1 1/2 hours. My question is, is this direct or with firebricks? Are there any other suggestions for a sirloin tip roast? I have already used mustard and JJ's rub.[p]I have also already prepared a batch of GWF's black bean chili. Two questions - should I wrap the dutch oven in foil (just the outside? or down to the chili on the inside?). Also, is this simmered with or without the top on the dutch oven?[p]As you can see, I am already to cook, but a little unsure. Thanks for any advice.
·

Comments

• FireballFireball Posts: 354
    PRobinson,
    Foil on the outside only. I bake bake beans with the top off.
    Fireball

·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    02_18_0013_54_04.jpg
    <p />PRobinson, merely cover the bottom with foil - per ChefRD, it saves time in the cleanup! I don't use a cover. It typically cooks just like in the picture, but without the spoon. Good Luck! :~}

·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Fireball, Sorry - I should have read your post. Have a great weekend!

·
  • FireballFireball Posts: 354
    Gfw,
    No problem. Great to read your postings again. You have been missed.
    Fireball

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    PRobinson, with the siroloin roast I would go indirect over a drip pan. Firebricks under the pan is o.k. too. Add your veggies (taters,celery,carrots,etc) around the meat when you use the foil and loosely tent the foil over the meat. Use HD foil, doubled if you have too to insure its pretty well sealed. This will tenderize the beef very well..and the veggies are delicious.
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]

·