Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chiminea???

Options
Thrill
Thrill Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone shed some light on the purpose of this thing? I saw one at the Atlanta store when I dashed in to get some supplies, but didn't take the time to ask about it. Is it used for cooking? Does it put out heat? Is it made of the same ceramics as the BGE?[p]Basically, "What it be?"[p]And since I'm posting, thanks to all the regular posters from a lurker that reads this forum religiously, but seldom posts a message. I'm sure that I'm not the only lurker out there, and I can undoubtedly profess that this is the best source of grillin'/Qin'/smokin' information on the Web.[p]Your friend in the sauce,[p]Thrill

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Thrill,[p] If you like the forum, you'll love the fests. Y'all come, ya hear.
  • Thrill,[p]It it simply an outdoor, wood or charcoal burning heater/fireplace, suitable for patio entertaining on a chilly evening... or warm.[p]Pete
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Thrill,[p]I've think they are more for astetics (sp?) that for heat. Don't really know why you would want heat on a nice evening once it's started to cool off! The Mini grill fits on the top (with the tall portion removed) and I've hear of people grilling on that.[p]What the heck, its just money! Get it![p]Smokey
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Actually, Smokey, they put out quite a bit of heat on a chilly evening. Unlike most other chimineas, these won't crack at high temps & require no sand in the bottom. The chimney can be removed and the grill grate from the mini fits right on the bottom part. We have cooked on ours numerous times with great success. JCA

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    chimey.jpg
    <p />Thrill,[p]The little chimey will surprise you with the amount of heat it puts out. Especially, as I found, if your mischievous friends overload the firebox when you are not watching. The 1400* rating has already come in handy for me once. The little guy will also throw out plenty of sparks when rip-roaring hot, so be carefull on a wooden patio.[p]K~G