Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE, teaching me to keep an open mind

Options
Gordy
Gordy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dura flame quick start vs. the electric starter[p]While everone in NE USA shovels their way out of the snow, winds howled here in Atlanta, not only do people not know how to drive but power goes out during these heavy winds.[p]Chicken on the BGE was scheduled for dinner - no power no problem - the boy scout in me had the Dura flame chunks in the pantry for such emergencies. Cut off a couple chunks (was easier than I thought it would be to do), stuck them in the lump, easy start and best of all the coals were burning much quicker than from the crummy electric starter from Home Depot - knowledge, never too old too learn.[p]To think that three years ago I was still using gas grill because I though charcoal on a Weber was too much of a hassle. Could have bought an antique from a woman for pennies, but no - too closed minded, live in learn and had to pay for it, now have to BGE, one at the camp and one at home.[p]You're never too old to learn.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Gordy, your getting there..good luck next time on the Boston Butt.. it's worth the trial and error. Like you say, knowledge, its one step at a time..I still have a electric starter that I don't use. Nearly like new.
    C~W
    And a weber starter pot...Beats me why one wants to start charcoal in one of those, and then dump it, when you do the same routine in the bge itself.
    :-) To each his own method prevail...
    Char-Woody[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Gotta agree witcha about the fire starters. I buy the cheapo camping firesticks, or the small firestarter logs for the fireplace. Dirt cheap, and all you need is a piece or two the size of the tip of your pinky. Never failed me yet. I use one small piece for a low/slow far, and 2-3 pieces spread apart for a hot far. This method is particularly useful when I started my first dozen fires with newspaper like the classic BGE manual tells you. That is a hit or miss method fo sho.[p]Latah!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, right on..a tip for ya. I use a toothpick stuck thru that bitty chunk to ignite without smoking a finger or two..BTW..there is a huge difference in starter logs. Avoid the dark ones. They are doused far to heavily in parafin or whatever they use..Get the lightest color you can find. They are pretty good and burn without the dark petro smoke.
    Bleeeeahh..
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    good info. Thanks. The darker the firestarter, the more parafin. I'll remember that.[p]The toothpick method sounds great. But my fingertips are nearly immune to heat now. Not sure if it is all of the working on cars, cooking, campfires, and working outside I have done in my life....but there is very little sensitivity left in any of my fingertips. It takes several seconds of an open flame to wake those nerves up![p]Have a great one!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ