Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

weird thing with turkey cook

UGAVETUGAVET Posts: 577
edited 1:17AM in EggHead Forum
I did a 13 lb test turkey this weekend and had a weird thing happen based on the multiple post concerning icing the breasts to keep it from over cooking before the legs and thighs are done. I admit that i didnt let the turkey get up to room temp or sit out for an hour. I defrosted it in a cooler over the previous 3 days adding ice each day. It was completely thawed but still pretty cold. I was running out of time on sunday so i pulled it straight out of cooler and rinsed bird, dried and then applied EVOO and Tsunami spin rub, packed cavity with oranges and apple slices and put on the egg with inverted platesetter legs up with drip pan and turkey in v rack on regular grid. Cooked at 350 for about 3 hours. I had a polder in the breast and as it creeped up to 160 i checked my legs and thighs with my thermapen expecting them to be a little behind but they were at 190. I guess the explanation would be that the breast may have still been a little frozen in the deeper muscle that kept the breast temp lower than the legs. Just thought that was curious. turned out great and had a wonderful color. everyone at work yesterday was begging me to cook their turkey for thanksgiving.

egg00115.jpg[p]

Comments

• bbqdivabbqdiva Posts: 192
    heya ugavet,[p]sounds reasonable to me. beautiful bird by the way![p]
    have a wonderful Thanksgiving,[p]Tish

• ugavet,
    nothin like fresh turkey at midnight!
    lookin good... i can smell that from here!