Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats everyone cooking for thanksgiving?

Options
SCRebel51
SCRebel51 Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just wondering what everyones going to cook for thanksgiving. im cooking two pork loins and taking it to my aunts house for supper. one putting olive tapinade in one and marinading it in balsamic vinigar, maple syrup, and putting some rub on it. With the other one im gonna fill it with a cranberry chutney ,that i got at honey baked ham, some chopped walnuts. then im marinading it in a rasberry honey mustard and injecting it with pineapple juice. i hope they both turn out good. ive tried the one with olive tapinade before and it was good. well that what im cooking so what are yall cooking? just wonderin
PEACE
JB

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    SCRebel51,
    I'm trying my first turkey on the EGG, and as usual I am going to make the mashed potatoes for our family of 30. :)

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Dang girl, 30 is a crowd. Kim informed me that we are going to have 25 this thursday. I'm cooking a 18 lb and a 14 lb bird on both the large Eggs. Going to seperate the front and back halfs before cooking, and cook each to the propper temp. Happy Thanksgiving! -RP

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    SCRebel51,
    I am cooking my First Turkey ever and I am doing it on my Dad's Medium BGE (Mom has ten pound Bird waiting for me). Dad is recovering from surgical procedure on foot. Before I drive down to my folks house on Wednesday I am going to bake to fresh home made pumpkin pies (with wife's asssistance of course) on my Large BGE tomorrow night when I get home from work. Brother and My Sister and extended family will be there. Mom bought "Honey Baked Ham" because of being a skeptic to my cooking :>) I have been studying up reading all the posts on this forum since I got my large BGE about two month ago! Already met some real Egg heads like Ronbeaux at Mobile's Eggtoberfest. Looking forward to attending more Egg fests in the future.
    I wish everyone in this forum families and extended families traveling mercies this Thanksgiving.[p]Happy Egging & Thanksgiving, Pharmeggist

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    AZRP,
    Your post made me think of a question... are larger turkeys frowned upon? are they prone to be more tough?
    anything like that? like a 24 pounder vs. 2 smaller 12 pounders... [p]I noticed you are cooking an 18 pounder and a 14 pounder - I am cooking one 24 pounder... would I have a better turkey if they were smaller in size? I am just wondering if larger turkeys are more tough or anything like that.

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    AZRP,[p]I just found out that it's closer to 40. eeeep! :)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    SCRebel51,
    The wife wants to do a turkey this year because we eat with family and miss out on the leftover turkey sandwiches. Turkey is one of those things that is better the next day cold I think.[p]I said something to her about egging it because I did a couple turkeys years ago when I first got my Egg but have not done one since.[p]I always get pegged for Sweet Potato soufle. Its rather tasty if I say so myself. Everyone asks how I make it but it is never the same way twice. The only constant is lots of butter and lots of pecans and brown sugar. One thing I do because I love pecans is mix some into the sweet potatos.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    SCRebel51,[p]Here's my plan so far.[p]Roasted Garlic with Brie Cheese and crackers. [p]Fall salad with butter lettuce, dates and tangerine vinaigrette. [p]Roasted brined turkey with compound butter, Sauvignon Blanc, apple, onion, thyme, sage, parsley and orange. (A Mad Max Variation.)[p]Cranberry-Orange sauce.[p]Mashed potatoes with two styles of gravy: pan-giblet and truffle. [p]Steamed Asparagus with lemon butter. [p]Pumpkin Cheesecake with Candied Pecan crust.[p]That should be enough...

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    damn, i should have sent you more chestnuts! :-)

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    We're celebrating Thanksgiving at the Orange Bowl on Thursday evening with about 20 of our closest friends....I'm Egging a 14lb. whole brisket.....and a 14lb. Prime Rib....So...we'll be eating well...even if our beloved Hurricanes aren't playing well....We're going to have a great time win, lose or draw.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ChuckGGa,[p] I cooked a 25.48 pound bird Sunday and it was as tender and moist as the 14 pounder I cooked the week-end before.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p] We have 17 so far. Going to split the cooking choirs with my Mather-in-law. [p]She is doing the Turkey Stuffing, and most of the veggies. I get to do the Ham, Sweet Tater Casserole, a traditional apple pie, dutch apple pie and an apple custard pie. We will have plenty of Pies, cause my mother-in-law will have her Sweet Tater pies too..[p]
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Mad Max method?
    I've cooked turkeys before on the large egg, with success, but this is the first one I've done this size, and also the first Mad Max method I've used... any pointers?
    His directions are very clear....
    How long did yours take? we are eating at 1:00 (or close to it), so I am thinking I need the fire regulated and it ont he cooker by 5:30 or 6:00 am at the latest.... at 15 minutes per pound, that should give me an hour to an hour and a half if not ready yet... think I should aim to get it on earlier? [p]I do nto have a guru or I'd put it on earlier and go back to bed... but make sme nervous without guru to regulate.

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    ChuckGGa,[p] I put it in at noon and the two maverick probes crossed their thresholds (165 and 185) at 5:15. The pit probes were under the roaster and read 370-390 all the time. It shot up to 410+ for a real short time when the wind around the farm picked up, but I got the egg cooled off relatively fast.