Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I Crazy or What???

PRobinson
PRobinson Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I may need help. I own one of the older large eggs. After reading recent posts, I realized that it is not suitable for "high temp" cooking, so, I ordered a small (from halcogrills.com) along with the auto-lock band and table mates for the large. Well, while reading the instructions for replacing the band (and after installing the band on the small), I was unsure of whether or not my old large had the front hole to fit the new band into. Yesterday, I dialed the 800 number and chose the option for Ed (first number given). Ed confirmed that the older large model cannot be fitted with the anti-lock band or the table-mate. Now, this is where I may be crazy -- is this sufficient reason(s) to purchase a new large BGE? or am I being impulsive?? Unfortunately, I really only started using the egg after stumbling upon this forum. You all have opened up a whole new world of cooking for me. I had been ignoring my egg and playing with everything else, including a brand-new hasty-bake (which I have now ignored for the last six months). Thanks for your opinions.

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    PRobinson,
    Join the club! I too did something simular to that! I went out and bought a brand new Weber Master touch after I had bought my first two Eggs. I had some difficulties in learning how to cook with them. (the book sure didn't help!) Then a friend of ours that got me interested in the Egg originally called and I told him some of my problems. Seems I was tryin' to re-invent the wheel so to speak.
    From that point on, I was determined to "get it right" with the Eggs. I parked the WMT and haven't looked back since. Our gas grill that was less than 8 months old when we bought the first Egg, has been used once since the Eggs came on the scene. Dumb! I know! But some of us are more hardheaded than others![p]What I'm trying to say, is buy the new Egg! You won't be sorry, you won't look back and you for sure will enjoy Q'ing a whole lot more than you ever dreamed possible! Plus, You and the family will love everything cooked on the Egg![p]JMHO though! I think a lot of other folks will chime in with the same thoughts![p]While I'm at it, Welcome to the forum! There's a great bunch of people here and all of them willing to help out at a moments notice! Keep up with the forum, and soon you'll be the "resident" Eggspert! :-))) (I couldn't let the double pun pass, if you catch my drift!)[p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    PRobinson,
    I agree with Dr. C. Sure, it might be a bit impulsive, but who cares. It is a great decision, and will make a great addition to your collection. Just do it. And stop back here often to hone your skills.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks! I figured for sure I'd catch the dickens for admitting I did something like that![p]C~W will probably chime in here and really jump my case! :-)))[p]Hey! We all make mistakes! At least mine was correctable![p]
    Have a great weekend in the mountains. I wish I could join you![p]
    Dr. Chicken (Whaaaack!)

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    PRobinson,[p]Of course you should get another egg if you can swing it. By the looks of some of the prices I've seen, waiting another six months could cost you another $100. Do it now!!!!!![p]Zip[p]
  • Dr. Chicken,
    We all make mistakes. Most of us use our mistakes for storage!
    Thank you! Looks like we will be camping during plenty of snow. They are pretty much expecing snow showers all week up there. They get about 150 inches of snow per year...mainly from the Great Lakes. As long as we can get in and out of there....things'll be great![p]Wonder how our friends in New England are fairing today?
    Cheers!
    NB

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    PRobinson,[p]Being a Cheep *&^!@%$# . It's hard to say. Many people who own a Large and a small say that they use the Small for steaks, burgergers and small cooks and the large more for low-n-slow cooking (your old egg will do that). [p]The more impulsive side of me ... GO FOR THE NEW EGG! There are many improvements to the new ceramic material, plus many more options available![p]Heck, "IT'S ONLY MONEY"![p]Smokey

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    PRobinson, take a look under vistors profiles at JJ's and his photo..The old and the new..:-)
    And we are tickled that you found us..Old BGE or new one. No difference to us..!!
    Cheers and good luck..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dr. Chicken, who me..??? Nah...you did fine! I had to go find what it was tho! There is a learning curve, even with the BGE..but it's faster. Thanks my friend..
    C~W[p]

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    PRobinson,
    Collect them all. It's fun.