Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lowering the temperature??

Options
KensethFan
KensethFan Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I'm in the middle of my first cook (about a 6 pound whole turkey breast). It's been on for about 90 minutes now at around 325-335 degrees and I'm about to go check the meat thermometer.[p]When I first fired it up, I used plenty of BGE lump and it shot up to around 500 quickly. I finally got it down to about 400, but it stayed there for what seemed like forever. It only went back down after I added the soaked hickory chunks and the turkey itself. It finally stabilized around 325 like I wanted. [p]Here's the question: How can I keep it from getting so hot so fast? If I'm going to cook at around 300, I'd like to get it to stabilize at 300 a lot faster than having to bring it down from 400-500, which I'm finding difficult. [p]I know it's my first cook, so I'm obviously being a little impatient, but any advice for future reference would be greatly appreciated.[p]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    KensethFan,
    the secret to getting the temp down is to not let it get hot.[p]going above your target doesn't really do anything to establish the fire 'better' or more quickly.[p]sneak up on temps. watching as it climbs. after the starter flames are out (they spew flames which read high on the thermometer), start watching for the thermo to be within 509 degrees (low) of the temp you want, and start dialing down.[p]also, don't walk away til you get used to it.[p]another tip is to put the daisy on with you temp roughly dialed in. it doesn't slow the rate the fire grows during start up, and it'll keep you from overshooting.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    KensethFan,
    Here's a link to my webpage on temperature control. Hope this helps![p]TNW

[ul][li]Temperature Control[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    KensethFan,
    It's always best to stay there and catch it BEFORE it reaches your target temp. Watch the temp gauge and start closing it down 1/2 vent at a time until you nail it like you want it. When you go over, especially with new lump, it takes a long time to come back down. Let it sit at your desired temp for at least 30 minutes to quit smoking, and then add whatever wood chips you like for the smoke flavor.