Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Ping...Old Dave

SandbaggerSandbagger Posts: 977
edited 2:36AM in EggHead Forum
Ok I got up at 3 am this morning and did the covert buy on a bag of Kingsford. I haven't bought a bag since buying the eggs. [p]A couple quick questions for you on smoking cheese![p]The block size is 2" X 2" max with the length no real factor?[p]The smokin' wood, do you have a recommendation? I have several to choose from: pecan, hickory, maple, apple, cherry, alder and guava. I'm smoking cheddar, but wonder if some types of wood go better with specific cheeses. [p]Thanks Tom

Comments

• Tom,[p]I sure hate to recommend the brickettes but it just seems easier to me to use them for this task. [p]Your 2X2 block size is perfect and I wouldn't go much larger than that or what will fit a cracker for best results. Any length is ok. [p]I have been using both hickory and apple and really can't tell much difference but apple is usually the recommended wood for smoking cheese. Pecan might be a good wood to try.[p]Dave
  • Old Dave, thanks, I going to give pecan a shot on some sharp cheddar today. T

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Tom,[p]The point is debated often on regular cooks, but to play it safe I always de-bark wood used for cheese.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye, [p]Mornin', I debark all my wood. It's a good reason to play with the hand axe. [p]For the set up I put a pan with ice cubes on the spider. I am using my adjustable rig with the grid on top and a pizza stone 3" below the cheese. I put the stone in the freezer to cool it down too. [p]I'm checking the temps with my datalogger. So far after 40 minutes, the ambient is mid 60s with the egg (grid level) hanging 75-80 degrees.

• ronbeauxronbeaux Posts: 988
    Sandbagger,
    Hey, if I can do it I know you will have no problems. I used hickory and I can't quit eating it. So much for giving it away as presents.