Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey on the egg .......

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg, I have a 12 lb turkey. where do I go from here. I've had my egg for about a year now and have done some minor smoking and alot of straight up grilling on it. Other than brining my turkey I'm not really sure where to start when it comes to making a delicious green egg turkey that i can be proud of. Help me please....

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Luke Findley,
    No problemo. Look here:

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Luke Findley,
    If you are using a vertical Turkey Roaster you might want to check out this site. [p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.spanek.com/do/welcome.php[/ul]
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    You can't go wrong with a Spanek. The bird cooks from the outside & inside. Make sure you have the top of the Spanek open so that heat can flow up & out.[p]Stick a polder in the breast & cook to 180.[p]The new Spaneks have a drip pan built in.[p]I brine in a zip lock bag, setting in a foil roaster as gravity is always at work. One year it overcame the seal & leaked in the frig. The cleanup is a mess & irritates the spouse.[p]I cook @ 225 to 250.[p]Let us know how it turns out.[p]

• RittmanRod
    Options
    Nessmuk,[p]Is that spanek available in regular stores anywhere or only online? if not are there resonable knock offs out there?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    when all else fails, use a one of those large foster's beer cans. . .it works great as a turkey stand .. .drinking the beer before hand is optional :0)

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    Thanks for the post. Please, give me details about brining. My simple plan was to brush the outside the bird with melted butter... then I was going to use Bad Byron's "Butt rub". I got the idea to use a ziplock bag and put ice in it and put on the breast just before cooking from Mad Max. I am open to suggestions on making tasty bird on the vertical roaster. My roaster doesn't have the built in drip pan. I was going to use disposable aluminmum pans. I am going to be using my Dad's Medium BGE to do the Bird. My plan is to have the plate setter legs up position. Then I am going to put the Pan on the plate setter and then the vertical roaster in the center of the pan with the bird on it. How does this sound? Then I plan to follow Spaneks instructions on cooking the bird. I see your temperature is the same throughout the cook. How long would it take to do a 12 pound bird at 250? Rough estimate of course.[p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.buttrub.com[/ul]
  • RittmanRod
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Fosters,Hmmm wonder what Crocodile would be like on the egg??
    hehehehe

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    I found out about Spanek roasters here in the BGE forum. I have no idea if they are sold in any retail stores. I got mine as an early Christmas gift and haven't used it yet! This Thanksgiving bird will be my first. However, I have used a vertical roaster for chicken before with awesome results. It impressed my wife so much and that she is excited about the Turkey this year... I am taking care of the details :>)[p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

• RittmanRod,[p]I bought mine at the BGE store in Atlanta. Special cutting board with a recess to hold the Spanek too.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Luke Findley,[p]Whether on a Saneck or a rack cook the same way you would cook in your oven. Time should be about 15 minutes a pound at 350º- 375º. Brine or don't brine, your bird should come out moist and with a great skin color. As with many things, cook indirect with a drip pan. temps should be 170º for breast meat and 180º for the leg/thigh. Best way to tell is to wiggle the leg and twist the drumstick. Juices should run cleal when you give him a little poke with a knife in the thigh.[p]Simplest this is to "Think Oven" when roasting anything until you gain a little more experience. Good luck.
  • Yo Luke, You have received a lot good advice from the readers. The only thing I would add is to do a practice round this weekend. This way you will have a better idea of what to expect on the day you are wanting to impress your guests with your cooking.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy
  • Tim Morgan
    Options
    The LA Times just published their Great Turkey Smackdown, where they compared 4 different ways of prepping and cooking identical turkeys in identical, calibrated ovens. The article is here:[p]http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-calcook15nov15,0,6077724.story?page=1&coll=la-home-food[p]Their conclusion was that salting it down a few days before cooking produced the best result and it was less effort than brining.