Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey

Options
FSUScotsman
FSUScotsman Posts: 754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My dad asked me if I would do a turkey for Thanksgiving like "you used to do on that little Brinkman you used to have". Fine by me, but I've not done that with my Egg and I can't find that type of recipe on the forum. Of course I may not know what I'm looking for. [p]Any suggestions would be great. Just in case someone doesn't know what I'm talking about, the Brinkman was a charcoal set up in a low pan, water in an upper pan. I would put wood chips on the charcoal several times during a long smoking and it would take about 10-12 hours. I would have to put more charcoal in right before bed an get up early and really hope that it hadn't gone out. I got really good at it and only had one fire go out after the first two or three tries. The BGE is a LOT easier way to do it!!!! I just need to know how to do the turkey, what temp, etc.

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    FSUScotsman,
    You may want to have a look here to get a start. Mad Max is our chief tukey eggspert.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

[ul][li]Mad Max's Turkey6 & Gravy[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    FSUScotsman,
    Cook it just like you would in your oven. Not really a lot of need to get fancy. Be careful with the smoke though, turkey is easily overpowered.[p]Our first attempt was a huge success on a vertical cooker. Moist and tasty.

• 05nov06_3-031.jpg
    <p />FSUScotsman,
    you might want to try smoking a breast or two...
    i made this one last sunday on my medium egg...[p]smoked at ~240 degrees for 5 hours i think, with cherry chips,
    indirect, plate setter, legs up/drip pan/grate/egg feet to hold the breast stable...
    then a loaf of cinnamon sugar bread to welcome november!

• FSUScotsman
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]I thought about doing just a breast as well. I'll let my dad decide, THEY are taking home all the leftovers!!!! LOL!!![p]Thanks for the replys, guys.