Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grid for Steaks

RittmanRod
RittmanRod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did some fairly thick steaks last night, used the
Nuke em meathod, 600+ 4mins flip, another 4+ flip,
then shut the vents for close to 6 mins, they were
probably med inside but got fairly chared out side,
Question is would I get less chare by raising the grid?
or do Ineed to go with lower temp? We are mostly a medium well
Family, I know, I know, ....sissy, lol but that keeps momma happy.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    RittmanRod,
    the answer lies in "fairly thick"[p]you need to cook them to your idea of 'done' on the inside, and the thicker they are, the longer the outside is searing (eventually, charring)[p]try the hot tub method below, or letting them get to room temp a bit longer. the insides'll be warmer, and cook sooner[p]or... less time at nuke temps, say 3 minutes, then pull them, let them rest, shut the egg down so it drops to 400 or so, and throw them on again to roast (and yeah, i usually use a raised grid for the second trip on the grill).[p]lotta ways to skin that cat.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    RittmanRod,
    If you want less chare do a 2 min then flip on each side. Pull steaks off grill as temp come down to 400 and toss back on to finish.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • George
    George Posts: 86
    RittmanRod,[p]try using the raised grid with a shorter time for the sear. that should take care of it...[p]me personally, i like having a lot of char on the outside, and nice and rare/medium rare in teh center. i find that if i use the raised grid, i don't get enough char for my liking (acutally, i don't even get enough char if i use the grid on top of firering position...which is one of the reasons i got Sandbagger's famous Spider that drops down a second smaller grid a few inches below the firering, basically right on top of the charcoal). [p]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    RittmanRod,
    noe there are a million ways to cook them mine may not be right but lately on thicker steaks i have used dizzy pig cow lick as a rub, then 700-750 deg. for 1min 15sec on first side 1min 15 sec on second side close all the way without opening egg let sit for 5 min then open egg VERRY VERRY VERRY CAREFULLY!!!(flashback) then let rest on counter for 10 min.
    like i said many ways this has worked extremely well the past few times if you like yours a little more done let sit for 6 min after searing. best part is you get to experiment and eat any mistakes
    HTH
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,658
    100_1063.jpg
    <p />RittmanRod,
    i like the trex method as it gives consistant results. i sear on cast iron which works well at 600 degrees dome, if it were on the regular grid, 750 works better. i sear until it looks right, has the char, lines i want, not by any time, just by looks. then i put them on a plate while i drop the temps down, 400 for boneless steaks, 350 for bone in, and then roast them on a raised regular grid. the roasting will darken the meat a little, but doesnt add to the char. the best thing for consistancy is to get a thermopen, pricey but worth every penny

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    heay fishlessman,[p]wow, what a table setting! see........the Egg just spoiled me wanting to "go out" and eat............gorgeous...gorgeous![p]
    regards,[p]Tish a.k.a bbqdiva

• George, Hats off to Sandbagger. I got his adjustable rig with the spider, and the setup solved some problems, and improved on things that weren't problems to begin with. Did that make sense? The Spider works for great searing the steaks, and I finish them off high on the upper grate.

• George
    George Posts: 86
    Grillicious,[p]i hear wbat you're saying loud and clear. his stuff makes the cooking on the Egg, which is great to being with, even better. [p]i swear, some of his ideas should come as standard accessories with the Egg.
  • George, ah you guys are making me blush.....thanks for the kind words...[p]I should have the 2" fire ring tomorrow, can't wait to play with it...T

• BENTE,
    Interesting, I do about the same -rub with dp, and my timing is : 1.5minutes first side, 1 minute next. It isnt even THAT rare, guess it cooks on while resting. If one was to cut through just after the sear I guess it would be RAW :-0. At this time of the year its quite a spectacle, all the steam and smoke with the contrasting biting cold !! Can't get enough!!
    best regards
    thorsten