Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My 18 lb. Mad Max Turkey with pics (test run for Turkey Day)

Options
mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MadMaxTurkey3.jpg
<p />Let me start off by saying, this was one of the best turkey's I've ever had let alone ever cooked on the BGE.
We took a few liberties and decided to brine the turkey like we always do, just because we know we like it extra juicy. We basically followed Alton Brown's brine recipe, soaked overnight in the brine and then soaked for about 1/2 hour in clean cold water... not sure if that part makes a difference.
Definately do the cold test like Max says.... my store bought throw away... even though the measurements on the pan were smaller than the grid size it didn't allow for the handles that were rivted on... so I had to bend them a bit.
I also forgot to put the 'aromatics' inside the bird... like the onion, garlic, herbs and the like... yet the bird was still eggcellent.
We basted it with the butter/white wine/drippings just like Max says to do every half hour. I tented it with foil when I felt it was at a great color.
I also did the ice packs on the breast for 1/2 hour before hand and it definately worked.[p]btw... the gravy was also amazing... gotta love butter and wine!
As you can see in the pics... hopefully they post... the skin got so taught and amazingly crispy.[p]MadMaxTurkey2.jpg
MadMaxTurkey6.jpg
MadMaxTurkey4.jpg[p]Thanks Max!
•Jill

Comments