Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Sprinters Calzone.....

Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Call me Al Calzone..."I make ya a offer ya cannot refuse"! I reprinted Springers submitted recipe so you could find it easier.
Its in the "newly submitted" recipe catagory.[p]Do I recommend it?? You betcha!![p]Except for a few minute (minimal) changes it went as posted. I am stuffed.
Sprinter..watch for e.mail..!! And thanks..
C~W[p][p]Calzone
Submitted by: sprinter troy@cmacsoft.com [p]

This is a great calzone. There are a myriad of fillings that can be used but this is one of the favorites of my family.
Ingredients:
• 1 Tbs olive oil • ½ Cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
• ½ Cup chopped onion • 2 tsp chopped fresh sage - if you use dried, use ¾ teaspoon
• ½ Cup chopped green pepper • ½ tsp black pepper
• 1 recipe of the calzone/pizza dough • 1 lb italian sausage
• 1 Cup ricotta cheese - this is important as it acts as a binder for the filling • 1 large egg
• 1 Cup cubed or shreaded mozzarella cheese [p]
Preparation Directions:
• heat the oil in a skillet and brown the sausage - set aside
• in the same pan, saute onion and pepper for 5 minutes
• press the dough out into a 12 inch circle, dough recipe makes 2
• combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl, add veggies and meat
• mix well
• place ½ of the filling on ½ of the calzone, fold dough over to make a half circle, seal the edges well
• repeat for the other calzone
• using a fork, make several holes in the calzone [p]Cooking Directions:
• preheat the egg, using an indirect setup, to 450 to 500 degree dome temperature
• place calzone on the pizza stone and cook until golden brown, usually 15-20 minutes
• watch through the chimney for doneness [p]Special Instructions:
• be sure not to allow any of the calzone to hang over the edge of the stone as the crust will burn at these high temperatures [p]

[p]Return to Index

Comments

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks CW, glad you enjoyed it. We generally do one of those a week, a real crowd pleaser at our place too. Thanks again.[p]Just grilled burgers here last night. It was terribly rainy and sleety, kinda "snain" if you know what I mean. I've been battling the flu for a couple of days and was just not up to much so I mixed up some burgers with ketchup, minced garlic, minced onion and green pepper, a little worst... sauce, salt and pepper, and made patties. I put on some McKormick Seasoning and grilled them till done at about 375. Pretty simple but good eats.[p]Glad you liked the calzones.
    Troy

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    sprinter, I'm having em again tonight..other half of the mix. Check your e.mail for some ideas.
    C~W[p]