Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Country Style Ribs"

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading the archives about "country style" ribs. However, the more I read the more confused I got. Want to do some country style ribs tomorrow and package reads "Country Style Ribs (Bone in)". From my reading this leads me to believe that these are from shoulder cut and should be cooked around 225 to 250 for about 4-5 hrs. Internal temp around 160. Is this correct or do they need to be fast cooked. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    MikeM,[p]Here is Chris' versiion.... REALLY good![p]DD
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig Country Ribs[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    e3da15d0.jpg
    <p />MikeM,[p]There are two cuts that can be labeled "country ribs". Shoulder ribs are pictured above. Below are loin ribs. which do yours resemble?[p]~thirdeye~[p]f33fb1fe.jpg[p]b22f1088.jpg

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]They kind of look like the second picture. They don't have the "y" bone in them. They don't have that pork steak look to them.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    MikeM,[p]Here is a picture that fishlessman sent me of a loin rib chop. In addition to the rib bone, this one has the full loin also. [p]b5214994.jpg[p]Because they are leaner than "shoulder" ribs, the "loin" country ribs are cooked at higher temps like 350° until the internal temp is 145°.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated.
  • T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    Options
    MikeM,
    Ya know I had the same problem a week or so ago. After reading all the posts I didn't know what kind of ribs I had other than pork?? Well, I just put them on direct with some Dizzy Pig rubbed in a couple of hours earlier (can't even remeember which one). Cooked them at about 250 for ~4 hours (I think) internal temp 150. Covered them with tin foil and let them rest for 10 min (temp when up to 160). And MAN, were they good!! I really think it is hard to screw them up. And with spare ribs being $3.00+ /lb and baby backs being even more!! Country ribs ~$2.00/lb I think they are the best bang for your buck with a lot of meat. They are my favorites. Heat them, eat them and enjoy.
    T-Que