Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork.....

Options
mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a pork butt cookin today, bringing it to a friends house for a party tonight. Can't wait for it, it smells sooooo good. [p]Just a question for ya... what else can I call the pork butt? My mom is offended everytime someone asks what I'm cooking and I say "Pork Butt". What else can I call it?? [p]-Jill

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mojopin,[p] Just explain to Mom that the "butt" is part of the shoulder and it's not really a "Butt". Just don't tell her what part of the pig the Hams come from.[p] I suppose with Mom in earshot you can just say "Pork".
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    mojopin,[p]What's wrong with just pulled pork, or pulled shoulder?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    mojopin,[p]I you really want to suprise your mom, explain to her that in pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. [p]The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston Butt." This name stuck and today, Boston butt is called that almost everywhere in the US.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mojopin
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I guess cause it's not technically pulled pork till I pull it? You are right though, I'll just call it pulled pork. She loves it when I tell people I use Butt Rub LOL I get strange looks around here for that too!

• mojopin
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Maybe I should tell her where they ham comes from! She shouldn't be eating it with her blood pressure so high! LOL That'll turn her off. More for me![p]-Jill
    Thanks guys, I knew I'd get a good answer here!

• mojopin,
    Funny, had the same thoughts about the name, here in Denmark pulled pork is an unknown concept although pork is the numer one favorite! So I call it "BBQ Nakkekam" or BBQ pork shoulder- I define BBQ as being low slow cooking using fire and smoke- thats something folks here like the idea of! They sure like the taste! I have been combining the traditional Danish fixins with the traditional american-- like Danish red cabbage, which goes excellent with pork of any kind. Google "danish red cabbage recipe" for some info.[p]best regards
    thorsten denmark