Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Hot Subject again..Tri Tip's

Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With Prime Rib a rare seasonal holiday cook here, Tri Tip is taking its place high on the priority list in beef..especially after tonight.[p]Perperation was the usual ho hum yellow mustard, "slathered" vigorously with the now open palm method of really diggin into it and getting the whole counter yellowed..Well, not quite, but I learned to do it when the wiffy isn't looking. This time I was blank for a seasoning..The brain wasn't selective as I gazed thru the spice closet. I have a small spice rack the runs top to bottom on the inside of the small spice closet door. And its full thanks to all the suggestions over two years.[p]
As I debated the seaonings, picking one, then another,then my gaze fell upon a small sample container gift from a very super nice lady on the forum. It was included with my order of Mrs Dogs Disappearing Mustard, some time ago. I won't tell you who she was..:-)[p]This is a product made by "Bruci's Blend" a "All Cajun" spice company.
I had not even opened the seal on it yet..so this stuff was fresh. I removed it from the closet, opened the seal, and like most seasonings, I wanted a sample taste..Just a tad on the tip of my tongue. I learn fast~!!!!! Wheeeeeeee...This has bite, and I sprinkled it very gingerly on both sides of my Tri Tip. Prior to that, I had dusted the Tri Tip on both sides generously with Mortons Kosher Salt (You can do that with Kosher as it takes twice as much to equal table salt) and fresh ground peppercorns. Then applied a very chinsey amount of this stuff to where you barely saw it.[p]Rested it in the fridge for 4 hours while I nursed my tongue back to health drinking a cold Guiness and watching the Hawkeye BB team Vanquish a rare opponent. Double jeapardy today. Both Iowa teams won..heeeeeee.[p]Tri tip went on the grill at 6:15 pm at 750 degrees, and I mean that is hot..and seared it for 2 minutes per side..maybe 3. Thick meat..takes the heat nicely. Then put on the daisy wheel wide open and shut the lower vent down to a quarter inch crack, and the BGE settled down to a even 400F degrees for the next hour or so. Also put on my potato..( I have a secret method of doing baked potato's now)
Thats another four chapter proceedure later.[p]At 7:35 pm..totally ignoring the Tri Tip the whole time..I opened the dome and saw right off this was eating time..Beautiful mahogany crunchy exterior, and the potato was soft and wonderful.[p]On to the platter..and my Hershner carving knife in hand..it was sliced and the juices..ooooo my goodness. It was overdone to medium stage, with little or no red to the meat, but this baby was so tender, and the flavor out of this world. If anyone finds that little shaker bottle of "All Cajun" Bruci's blend, pick it up. The combination was wonderful..believe me.[p]I have recently gotten the wiffy who hates mustard to accept it on pork and beef with gusto..tonight she ate seconds and thirds of this tri tip..and I was beaming all over the place..heeeeee. She said "humphhhh, this is good" which is a high compliment! Kidding of course...I am, I am !![p]Nuff said..I don't want to make this a long one..heeeeeeeeeeeeeee.[p]C~W[p]

Comments