Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime Rib

not Jonot Jo Posts: 22
edited 2:50PM in EggHead Forum
primerib_before.jpg
<p />It's 3:57 out here in 'sunny' Southern California and I just put a 4.5 pound roast on the egg. I've decided to try the way I usually cook it in the oven in the egg. I've let the temp rise to the 600's and then tossed on some hickory and a drip pan. Put on the prime rib and two potatos. For the inside oven I cook it at 500 for 6 minutes per pound then turn off and leave in oven for 2 hours. I'm going to try just that in the egg. I'm going to cook for 6 minutes a pound as hot as I can get it then shut down the egg and dwell for 2 hours.[p]This should be interesting. After pics to follow...........
Jo

·

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    not Jo, Thats pretty close. I flame sear my standing rib roast and then shut down to a mild 350F for about 1.5 hours or to a internal temp of 135 to 140 max..Remove and tent under foil for a short time. 10 to 15 minutes..nice au jus.
    Good luck..[p]

·
  • not Jonot Jo Posts: 22
    primerib_after.jpg
    <p />Char-Woody,
    I think I'll move more toward your directions. The husband was in hog heaven the prime rib was finally as (over) done as he likes. I like it much rarer.
    Jo

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    not_jo, it still looks great....lookit that juice!! Flaming a Prime takes some dexterity in rotating it. It becomes a ball of fire. Only a few minutes per side and as soon as you put the daisy on and reset the lower vent to a 350F cook..the fire is gone and the meat continues to cook. But wear long sleeved gloves when doing this. Lots of fire.
    C~W
    BTW..this was direct, no drip pans..! Nothin but fire and meat. :-)[p]

·
  • JethroJethro Posts: 495
    not_jo,[p]That do like tastee! I've cooked mine past that point, it still tasted good, but not as juicy as yours appears to be.[p]Jethro
    ·
  • Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    not Jo, that new camera of yours is taking some great shots. And the subject matter is no slouch. I guess we'll have to get your hubby with my wife (she likes cremated meat as well) and you and I can share some perfectly done medium rare. I will say at least with the egg, that overdone meat is still juicy (and edible by me).

·
  • not Jonot Jo Posts: 22
    Jethro,
    I couldn't believe how moist that was? I figured that done and it would be very dry. The egg constantly suprises me! Everything I cook just gets better and better. I love my egg.
    Jo

·