Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tip Roast

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...any ides? I have a six pound roast. was thinking indirect at 500 or so to get a dry-roasted exterior, and then back her down to 350 or so until 140 internal.[p]anybody cook roasts regularly that can offer a thought?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    stike,[p]That is an enormous tri-tip, that baby should be good. I have done both of these ways with good success:[p]Traditional: Set up the cooker for grilling with a direct set up (raised direct preferred) and a grate temperature around 375°. Oak is the traditional wood for grilling tri-tip. Cook the roast for 15 or 20 minutes, turn and cook until the internal temperature is 125° to 135°. Remove and rest the roast while ramping up the cooker to searing temperatures. Return it for the sear, turning often. Rest it for 10 minutes and slice.[p]Low-n-slo: Set up the cooker for an indirect cook with barbecue temperatures around 250°. Oak or pecan are good choices for wood. Cook until the internal temperature is 125° to 135°, remove and rest while ramping up the cooker for searing. Return it for the sear, turning often. Rest it for 10 minutes and slice.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    Options
    thirdeye,
    i asked if I could get tri-tips and they said i could, but told me this was a "tip roast". steaks i am more familiar with. this is just a cylinder of beef, tied up. loks like it was rolled.[p]i actually have some oak set aside for this, so your recipe seems right on track.
    thanks

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    thirdeye,
    That must be a hellova cow! I can usually only find ones in the 2lb range.[p]I like the first method you stated the best. I guess Jack Daniels chips qualify as oak(my favorite.)

• thirdeye
    Options
    bbbf92c9.jpg
    <p />stike,[p]Oops, I had tri-tip on the brain, had just pulled one out of the freezer, so I read that right into your post. Skip the low temp method I mentioned. [p]Since they are not as flat as tri-tip, I cook tip roasts like a rump, indirect at 375° to 400°, still with oak and still with an end sear.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    Options
    thirdeye,
    you da man. thank you.[p]...i went in looking for a tri-tip. gotta try one.

• ronbeaux
    Options
    stike,
    Try one. It's almost like getting filet at sirlion prices.

• thirdeye
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]Hehee...yeah I read stike's title wrong and went off on my own little tangent.[p]JD chips would qualify as oak. (Heck, enough JD and buffalo chips might work okay. LOL)[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• ronbeaux
    Options
    thirdeye,
    HooYaa!

• thirdeye,[p]Buffalo chips burn too hot and much too fast. [p]Mike