Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Prime Freakin Rib

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy!
Cooked my first standing rib roast tonight. It was about 3.5 pounds, 2 bones. I looked back over all the posts, and one thing stood out. Nobody cooks these guys the same!! So I rubbed it with Elder's salt/pepper/thyme rub, and cooked it at 400, in a v-rack/drip pan over a pizza stone. My Mom wanted to use the drippings.[p]2 hours later Miss Polder was squelching 140, and I took the beauty off, and wrapped it in a foil tent. 15 minutes later we were carving in a pool of au jus.[p]No drippings in the drip pan. It seems as if all the juice was sealed inside!! Amazing. No question the best prime rib I have eaten. Working your way through a slice, every bite has a different character. Some better than others, but all superb. The kids were picking the last little pieces off the plate, wiping them in juice, and eating. It was a joyous occasion for all.[p]Happy Weekend.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings

Comments

• bdavidsonbdavidson Posts: 411
    Nature Boy,
    I agree, NB. If they weren't so dang expensive, I'd be eating Prime Rib every weekend! Ahhh...but pulled pork is soooo good! And CHEAP, too!!

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    bdavidson, I love prime rib..but tonight I had a tri tip that would run a tight race with the Prime. A post later.
    C~W

• mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I, too, gave in to peer pressure. Bought a 6 pound one and realized I couldn't possibly consume all that, so cut it in half. Cooked faster than I thought. Less than 2 hours was hitting 140. Did the v-rack also (out of necessity...it kept falling over otherwise!). My guest, a major prime rib fan, said it was one of the best ever. And it was sooooo easy. I'm feeling so smug!
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,
    Did you find 140 to be more rare in the prime rib than in a steak? It seemed to me that way - like you said - loads of jucies when you slice it. I like a small pink center - I might go to 150 next time. Real tender cut of meat. [p]Tim

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, Way to go girl..and I like your name :-) I understand the smug feeling..heeeee. The egg really takes a big part of the success story. The rack does work nicely for the smaller Prime roasts. IF you do a large one, do em rib side to the fire, no drip pan, right on the grill. You can raise the grill a bit higher if you want to avoid the charring of the bone. The bone is unedible anyway, but I like that meat around the bone. Best part IMHO. Nearly anyway..heeee. Keep the bone side down thruout the cook till the interior is at your preferred doneness. Good Job MollyS...
    C~W[p]