Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak on the small Egg - Best yet! (a bit long)

Spin
Spin Posts: 1,375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]I had another meal planned (clams) but the slim offerings were less than desirable, so I had to come up with something else. I have some 1-1 1/8" thick NY strip steaks vacuum packed in the freezer. Here is how I cooked them.[p]After thawing in the freezer bag, I trimmed all of the fat from them. I left only a very thin layer that could be eaten and enjoyed (like bacon). They were patted dry just prior to a light dusting of kosher salt to one side and a nice dusting of fresh cracked black pepper to both sides. They then were moved to the fridge for a rest while the small was fired up. During this time, a stick of unsalted butter was slowly heated in a small sauce pan to render out the milk fat (clarifying). The clear liquid was removed from the solids and reserved.[p]The entire cook was done with the bottom vent wide open and no top vent control (open top). I filled the firebox to 1.5-2" from the grill (yup, into the fire ring area). The steaks were set directly on the grill when the dome temp went past 750°F for at least 5 minutes. They had a nice lick from the fire.[p]The dome temp slowly dropped from the 750°+F range (after installing the meal) and held more in the 600-650°F range. After 3 minutes, the meal was flipped. [p]After another 4.5 minutes (600-650°F dome), I removed the steaks to a heated plate, brushed both sides with the clarified butter, and tented them in foil to presevre heat during a 10 minute rest.[p]The result was medium well and very juicy, with a nice crusty sear on both sides. My wife said this is my new standard for cooking steak.[p]Sometimes less IS more.[p]Spin

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Spin,[p]Great post. Very discriptive and for a visual guy like my self, that's a must. I was gonna run to the store for some burger....................might just have to change that plan.[p]Mick
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Spin,
    My mouth was watering just reading your post. The idea of clarified butter on steak sounds wonderful. [p]Here is something for you to try. Make sure that you only use unsalted butter. Clarify the butter in the same manner that you described. However, instead of straining the milk solids right away, let the butter simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes. What happens is the milk solids toast and add a nutty flavor to the clarified butter. Once the butter cools some, then strain out the milk solids. You can repeat the process by reheating for 10 minutes and straining again to guarantee crystal clear butter oil. I normally make two pounds like this and keep it in the fridge, although this is not necessary since you really have just butter oil.[p]One last point, this is called ghee and one of the bases of Indian Cooking.[p]The next time that I have a steak, I will finish it with some ghee. Thank you for the great idea![p]Still Drooling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Spin,[p]Sounds good. We like our steaks rare, but like you we prefer the simple combo of salt and pepper, thouogh I add some garlic because my Mom did.[p]Fritz
  • Spin
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks for the ideas and tips. I will try it.[p]Spin

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Spin, sounds absolutely great to me! I plan on strips tomorrow, I use MSS but I'll add some butter. (if it gets any better, i don't think I can stand it! ;-))
    later,
    ChefRD

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    ChefRD, I`m with ya on the MSS ....that stuff is incredible...[p]Mop!

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Mop, I like both kinds, steak and chicken, but I prefer the steak kind better.
    keep on q'ing
    ChefRD

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    ChefRD, To be honest with you, I have never tryed the chicken version...only the steak version.
    I really should get me some...[p]Mop~

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Spin,
    HEY! you guys wait up for me.This EGG cookin' is gonna make me a fat nervous wreck.I growed up eattin' taters,collards,turnips,grease gravy,fatback an' chittlins, done give up most uv' that good stuff for better EGG cookin',now I find out I gotta cook my butter some more!! It shore is hard to be a "SOFISTICATED" chef:-D BUT AIN"T IT GREAT! Thanks for all the good ideas. Bob

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Spin, That sounds like perfection..I have a demo ribeye cook coming up, and I will try that one. I will nickname em Spinner Steaks in your honor.:-)
    Have you tried that with Mushrooms as a top dressing?
    Thanks for a good one.
    C~W

• Spin
    Char-Woody,[p]I haven't yet but will. Topping the steak for the last part of the cook with some crimini (or babybella) mushrooms sounds real good. Maybe a few red onion slices too. Both would go very well with the steak juices and butter.[p]Thank you sir![p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Spin, sounds like a meal to give thanks for...!
    Last night was pizza night here..
    Had some 2 day old BBQ'ed spare ribs in the fridge. Trimmed the meat off and made a BBQ pork Pizza..Not bad for a change.
    I think one of our posters did that a while back.
    Thanks to who ever that was for the idea.
    Might have been left over B'Butt too.
    Added portabella mushrooms and sauce and cheese.
    That was it.
    Might do a sausage, cheese, green pepper, red onion, sliced black olive, mushroom everything pizza tonight. With two bottles of Killian Red, to wash it down. <:!)
    Cheers..and dang, its good to see Jslot back..He fills a large empty spot..heeeeeyaaaaazzzzaaa..!!
    C~W[p][p]