Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

BB Chicken

Frozen ChosenFrozen Chosen Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a beer butt chiken tonight, and have only bottled beer. Has anyone tried using a glass? Or any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Frozen Chosen, I think I'd make a quick trip to the store or empty a soda can and fill the empty container - glass in the BGE? don't think so!

• McKevinMcKevin Posts: 47
    Gfw,[p]Not that I want to assume any liability here... My last set of (store bought) sitters WERE glass. Shaped very much like a Willy sitter, with a narrower neck. They lasted several years before I retired 'em, but I only used them indirect & ~350*[p]Kevin[p]
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    mckevin, In due respect to Gfw, I used two Guiness bottles to beer butt two cornish hens.

Worked great over a fire barrier. [p]I seem to remember cutting glass bottles by tying a string around em, and soaking in lighter fluid. Then igniting the string and when its hot apply cold water and snapping the bottle in two pieces.[p]
    A gradual heating of the bottles doesn't seem to harm em, but there could be a first time. I mean to order those mini ceramic sitters as that is the safest route for my cornish hens.
    My humble opinion again. Like you I been there, done that and it worked...but??[p]C~W[p][p]

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Char-Woody,[p]I read your beer/hen post and figured the smoke was getting to ya! The tiny sitters work nicely and are quite cute.[p]Spin

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Frozen Chosen,[p]I can,t recommend the bottle for a chicken, but can tell you that a sitter on a drip pan holding that good brew works. The only difference in cooking is the beer tends to evaporate a bit quicker. I either add more beer or some water to the pan.[p]Spin

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Spin, yeh, I know, I do crazy things..but dang, old military saying, "if ya ain't got it, improvise". So I grabbed the bottles, and they did look cute.[p] It worked but I think if I remember right I did use a firebrick under the dual aluminum pie pans and brought the heat up to temperature with em in the BGE. [p]Sometimes I feel John Glenn on his first trip to outer space. heeeee. "What am I doing up here by myself"..!![p]Cheers..C~W[p]