Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Finally Perfect Butt

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This butt was a small 5lb Lean Generation bone-in. Four hrs brine. Eight hrs marinade. A coating of mustard and home-made rub. Then twelve hrs in the egg with the last 1.5hrs wrapped in foil as internal temp went from 180 to 195. First time I got the bone to fall out and pulled pork. Made some killer dipping sauce. Totally outstanding, and I owe it to you guys. For one thing, it never occured to me to cook it to such a high internal temp.

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dr.Seuss, this is how the boston butt originated. At one time it was a very cheap portion of the hog shoulder and usually a staple in larger families. The home folk cooks developed the method we use today. I think the origins came from the southern kitchens as did most great bbq recipes.
    The fats/callogens and stringy muscular texture of the butt lends well to this type of cook.
    Congrats on your success, but I find foil wrapping a boston butt isn't necessary. Unless of course your in a real big hurry. Do it sometime to the finish line with the full 1.75 to 2.0 hours per lb. at 225 to 250F dome temperature.
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]