Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe for Salmon with feta cheese and how to smoke beef jerky

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a recipe for smoked salmon topped with feta cheese? I had some once at a party and it was so good it inspired me to buy a BGE to try to duplicate it. Also, what is the best way to make beef jerky....On a rack or what? How do you maximize space to smoke as much as possible? It goes so fast...What are fire bricks ? Just got my first BGE today and haven't used it yet, but can't wait ! What are the novices' recommended accessories to get first ?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Pamela Tuckey, there are dozens of great salmon techniques and recipes amongst the forum members and they will be here to fill your needs. Hang with us and welcome aboard.. I just took off a flat of Jerky..and another to finish in about 2 hours is smokin away.
    Many routines in jerky also..I will let the forum speak for themselves..:-) Again, welcome aboard.
    C~W (Char-Woody)

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Pamela Tuckey,[p]Welcome to the Forum. You will soon find yourself wanting to cook all your meals on the Egg. I advise to you visit Tim M's and GFW's web pages. You can find links to their sites in many posts below. Both Tim M's and GFW's sites provide detailed directions for cooking a multitude of foods. You will find info on fire bricks at Tim's site.[p]To learn about specific topics, search the forum archives. There are MANY fine people on this forum who are glad to help. You only need ask and you will be surprised at the number of friendly and knowledgeable responses you will get.[p]Good Luck and post the results of your first cook.[p]Carl T

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Pamela Tuckey, Welcome to the group! That is a bunch of questions! Lets see if I can hit a few of them.[p]1) Not sure if what you had was cold-smoked, or low smoked...or even what flavorings it had. In the new recipe section, there are some good recipes. Gretl's dijon/borboun marinade is excellent. So many ways to cook salmon. Gretl's version is a great hot smoked version. Mary posted a recipe with ginger sometime back that is also good. I have been playing around with a short brine, then a mustard/citrus splash paste, then grilling the salmon. Look through spme of the recipes, and you should be able to figure out which way to go about meeting your goal.[p]2) Check the link below. Gfw's site has a good section on cooking jerky. Follow his instructions and you are in for a treat. [p]3) firebricks are the same type of bricks that they line firplaces with. The thin ones are good for doing certain indirect cooks. They help protect the drippings in your drip pan from burning, and also help make your egg more ovenlike. I use them on their sides to support my second grate for indirect cooks. People seem too use them for different reasons. [p]4) The accessories I think are important: Polder thermometer, dome thermometer, second cooking grate, several sizes of cheap aluminum drip pans, ash tool, fire starter cubes. That is really all you need to get going. V-rack, pizza stone, second polder, vertical poultry sitter, and other items can be added as the need arises.[p]Hope that helps. Again, WELCOME!
    NB

[ul][li]Gfw's jerky[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Pamela Tuckey,
    If you have a second grill and the ability to raise it, like on fire bricks, you can hang the jerky between the grills on tooth picks. This will allow you to get about 8LB in a large BGE. IMHO they seem to cure quicker this way. About 3 to 4 hours.