Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Buffalo Style Wings

Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd share this recipe I found on foodtv.com. This is a really simple way to transform hot sauce into "buffalo wing sauce." This may be overtly obvious to the more experienced chefs on this forum, but I thought I'd share for anyone who has never made this simple transition. I've always loved buffalo wings but have always been disappointed with store bought buffalo wing sauces with the exception of the Anchor bar stuff BBQFan1 provided at E2K. Using this simple recipe, in 40 minutes I came up with a sauce that reminded me of the Anchor sauce. The taste was delicious and the texture was right on. The heat was relatively low but I know that can be corrected by adding some more potent ingredients like some habanero pepper sauce or some potent peppers.[p]In any case, I simply bbq'd some wings seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil direct at around 300 for about 45 minutes flipping occasionally. I'd imagine if you wanted more authentic buffalo wings instead of "buffalo style" you could do 'em ChefRD style to get the crispy outside and then add this sauce at the end. To add the sauce, I used the scientific method of tossing the wings in tupperware, pouring on some sauce, covering the tupperware, then shaking violently for about 5 seconds. If your week has not been as long as mine, I'm confident that shaking gently for 10 seconds would have the same effect...[p]Anyway, for those who want a nice rendition of buffalo wings with a sauce that is similar in taste and texture to the anchor sauce but don't have any on hand, I encourage you to give this simple recipe a try.[p]BUFFALO CHICKEN WING SAUCE[p]Recipe courtesy Bill Smith[p]2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 ounces unsalted butter
1 1/4 pints crystal Louisiana hot sauce
1 1/4 tablespoons peeled garlic
1 1/4 tablespoons champagne vinegar[p]Melt butter and saute garlic for 3 minutes. Add flour and stir, making a roux and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Slowly add the hot sauce, while whisking constantly to avoid lumps, and add vinegar. Put on low flame and cook until thickened and the roux has cooked out. Cool and pack for transport.[p]Yield: 1 1/2 pints
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Difficulty: Easy[p]Cornfed