Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gred/Dome ?

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first pulled pork in the rain yesterdy, it came out great. I used tried to maintain a 225 grate temp throughout the cook (9hrs.indirect) I noticed that my dome temp was about 60 degrees higher throughout.[p]I was surprised that the difference was that much, does that seem about normal to you expierienced eggers? What would be the difference direct?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    duckegg,[p] My XL has about a 30 degree difference after I calibrated the Dome Thermometer. The XL Dome is not as high as the large dome.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I've had bigger differences both ways, although they were usually transient. Most of the time the dome is between 25 - 30 degrees hotter. Taking measurements, I've had a few cooks where both locations were almost identical. So, for anything other than fairly short cooks, say about 2 hours, I try to have at least a grill thermometer going.[p]gdenby

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I have found the dome temp and cooking level temp can vary greatly for the first couple of hours on long indirect cook... but after a few hours, the temps will even out between the two. So, yeah that does seem pretty unusual. Have you calibrated your thermometers?[p]If you cook a butt direct, there will still be a temp difference between the dome and cooking level.
    If you want to cook a butt direct, I'd monitor the cooking level temp over the dome temp. You will be exposing the bottom of the butt to a lot of heat and you'll have to be careful not to let it burn or cook too quickly... and you'll probably have to turn it often. It can be done but it will more work.[p]john

• duckegg
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I was using a large egg. The thermos were pretty accurate, not sure what is the best way to measure the grid temp, I just layed the probe on the grid and used that for my desired temp.

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Headroom.jpg
    <p />Duckegg,[p]If the probe on the grid is touching the metal, it may be giving you a false reading.
    Try inserting the probe into the meat and let the tip hang in the air an inch or two from the meat... it may solve the mystery.[p]Here Nature Boy demonstrates the technique on a mongo brisket... good luck![p]john

• duckegg
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Good idea, I was laying it right on the grid.[p]Thanks

• Texas Geezer
    Options
    duckegg, for what it's worth, since I got my Maverick ET-73 thermometer, I've been monitoring grid and dome temperatures pretty closely on my Large BGE for lo-&-slo cooks. When things stabilize after some time, I get a pretty consistent 20-25 degree difference between dome and grid. But I've definitely noticed some anomalies.[p]The above temp difference is when I take the grid temp above the plate setter. If the probe gets close the edge of the plate setter, or in the "vent space" between the plate setter and BGE wall, the temperature in those regions is a lot hotter. At least that one is explainable and understood, since this is where the hot gases rise.[p]During my last full brisket cook AND during my last butt cook, I observed the grid temp as measured by the Maverick ET-73 temporarily (10-20 minutes) spike above the dome temperature several times near the end of the cook. I can't explain that phenomenon, but have wondered if it were not somehow related to the final fat-rendering process where some hot grease might have splattered on my grid probe.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    what an oddly shaped hunk of meat.[p]brisket looks a little funny too.[p](I kill me!)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    stike,[p]Yeah, well you slay me... :~)