Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
BYC
BYC Posts: 358
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen several suggestions to a more tender brisket, which include bacon slices on top, shoulders cooked over top of the brisket etc etc... [p]Maybe I am off-base but I've been going for something that seems almost impossible and cannot seem to get there. However, I know I have experienced it at Orioles Stadium. It's that crunchy/crispy almost honey baked ham outside result on a brisket. I am going to try the bacon tonight and feel that's great for flavor but fear once again that wrapping in foil produces steam thus breaking down any crust formed from the turbinado sugar. However, the steam is a great avenue for the most tender of briskets. Has anyone figured out how to get that crispy, crunchy outside with the moist tender inside? Am I dreaming? [p]Need this to ensure a huge REDSKINS victory against JAX. One of those little screwy things that will make me feel good going into the game![p]
Thanks

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BrisketCloseup.jpg
    <p />Yo BYC,
    I think maybe what you got at Oriole stadium was Boog's "pit beef"?? A totally different thing altogether. That's a much more lean roast (like a round or sirloin) that is seared hard and cooked to a medium rare and sliced thin. Not sure if we're talkin about the same thing, but I have never seen brisket at The Yard. Just guessin, but maybe you might not have actually had brisket. The one in the picture was moist and tender with a nice crust. [p]Even still, back to cookin it, I think you don't need to foil the thing. Foil sure doesn't help your crust. Just slow it down and plan on letting it moisturize itself as it cooks, and the egg will take care of it over the long cook. Once it is tender (185-205 internal after 10-15 hours usually) pull it off, and then put it in foil and rest it for 1-5 hours in your cooler. [p]Go Skins. Hopefully they look as good this week against a better team. Gibbs wants it bad, and so do us fans!
    Happy brisketeering
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BYC
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]It was Boogs!!...And you're right it was probably not brisket but I have tried to produce his product using a brisket about a trillion times. Goon give it the ole boog powell try once more with feeling...[p]Defense and special teams will win it for us Sunday!!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    byc,
    Yeah, go get ya a sirloin roast or sumthin like that if you want Boogs. In fact, just go find WessB's site, and he has a killer recipe for pit beef. [p]You also might want to try a 275 slow cook on the roast and cook it to 125 internal, then sear the heck out of it (close to the hot coals) at the end. You can also sear at the beginning and then roast it to 130, and it will be good too.....but the slow roast/sear at the end will give you a crunchier bark and a smokier inside.[p]Just throwin out some idears. Brisket is a totally different cook and taste experience.[p]I'm countin on defense and special teams too, but Portis will keep 'em guessin.
    Beers mang
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BYC
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Well it's on at 210 and no peek for 8 hours!!. Just to clarify I do not use foil during the cook but as you've suggested afterwards. I think that is where the crispy crunchy stuff breaks down. Might be time to try something new. Maybe throw it under a really hot broiler for about 10 minutes before serving. Always looking for something new you know..Thanks for the clarification to the Boogs offering.[p]I hope Portis can run through those monsters on the Jax D line but it's gonna be a real test. I have my 89, 26, 21 and 28 jerseys all hung around the house. I wanted to hang 56 but just cannot find the inner-strength to do so.[p]Keep the faith!!

• Eroc
    Eroc Posts: 53
    Options
    byc,
    Boogs is definately traditional Baltimore pit beef, not the brisket....
    I think Brunnell's gonna be running for his life tommorow against Jax's defensive ends, but who cares, I'll be at the Ravens game watching them beat up on the Chargers again,
    GO RAVENS!!!

• BYC
    Options
    Eroc,[p]Yah but can I accomplish the same result using brisket? If so I will be all over the board tomorrow...if not I will follow up after my 30 day brisket rehab.[p]Ravens have a tough game but they will win. I say Skins by 6 but Gary Clark said 14 today. John Hall will come thru. Besides my Gamecocks were one play away from beating number 2 Auburn so anything is possible!

• BYC
    Options
    BYC,[p]Brisket came out GREAT and da' Skins are looking as great!