Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Egg table question

WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I`m really jumping the gun on this one, as I don`t even have the egg yet, will pick it up at Eggfest.....I am going to build a table for my egg using the plans by Wise one...can anyone tell me what size stone block I can get away with underneath the egg? Home depot sells them in 12x12 or 18x18, I would prefer to use the 12x12 as it would be less obvious, but I don`t know if it is big enough for the egg to sit on properly. Gonna be a lot of newbie questions coming from me in the near future but I feel I already have a good start on things as I have been reading this forum for some time now, and am very much looking forward to meeting and eating at Eggfest..
Thanks in advance..
Wess
my user profile hasn`t been added yet but it has been filled out

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    WessB, Thats a good question to pose, and I am gonna elaborate a bit on this one. IMO (in my opinion) its better to have a airgap of sorts under the base of the BGE hence the ceramic feet supplied by BGE with the units. These do tend to be a bit wobbly at times. So 3 or 4 bricks around the bottom would suffice.
    Here is a warning to those that use wooden bench's. Make sure that the lip of the BGE (between dome and bottom) is raised to at least a inch higher than the adjoining circle cut out. How come....????[p]I went out after a high temp 400 F cook for "broiled" chicken 2 nights ago, to check and see if I had closed the lower vent. I had, and I noticed a red glow. My bench was on fire. My wood was glowing red coals from ignition from a gap in my dome seal. A quick cup of water extinquished it, but I was lucky. My BGE sits under a wood overhead 2nd story deck and had we closed the drapes, I think I would have had a hot night. [p]Cheers..C~W

• MopMop Posts: 496
    Char-Woody,wow, that sure could have turned out catastrophic......I`m glad it didn`t, just imagine if you had gone to bed for an all night cook like I`m doing tonight.....[p]I haven`t made my bench yet, I`m gonna wait for the nice weather I think...[p]Mop!

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,842
    WessB,
    All I use is the little feet that come with Eggie and I've never had a problem. why spend any more money on unnecessary things than you need to?

• RRPRRP Posts: 12,101
    WessB, here has been my experience. I started with a 16" round exposed aggregate cement stone for my large and didn't use the feet. That was a bad idea. Within a couple months the stone had broken in half probably from moisture collected from the rain/air and then without circulation. I replaced that with two 15x7.5 red smooth cement patio bricks from Lowes plus the three green feet. There actually is a space between the stones because that 15x15 pattern isn't quite large enough, but I see no problem as it permits even more air. At that point I had alterd my table to accept a small egg as well and another 2 red stones worked perfectly under it...again with the feet. My approach was more from appearances as I wanted the same size stones under each and I was particularly after the red color as I had used the "brown" treated wood vs the "green" treated wood. If you want more particulars on this subject email me.

• FireballFireball Posts: 354
    WessB,
    Under my medium egg on top of the shelf I have a fireproof flexible concrete mat made by Diverstiech and the 3 feet from BGE. I purchased the mat at Lowes the stock number is 117446. I agree with Char-Woody with the air space between the egg and the shelf things should be ok, but the matt is a saftey precaution.
    Fireball

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Sundown,
    WessB - If you use only the little green feet, be sure to move your bottom shelf up to compensate for the difference. I made the measurements assuming both a stone AND the little green feet (which is what I use).

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    WessB,
    Thanks to all for the great responses...
    I think I will get 3 extra firebricks and use them under the feet to provide a good air gap.[p]Wise One...are your plans laid out for the height of the lower shelf to only accomodate the egg and no stone???? In other words would I lower the bottom shelf from your 17 1/2" the thickness of my stone say approx 19" ????[p]If I had the egg here to measure I wouldn`t be asking these stupid questions so please bear with me.[p]Thanks again..
    Wess

WessB, I think the measurements are available..I will do some digging and if you need em, e.mail me at
    bbq-dude@home.com
    I will file and forward em to ya..
    C~W[p]

WessB, No my measurements were for a medium egg with stone and little green feet. Adjust accordingly.

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the mail..however all the numbers came out as one long string of numbers for each size. I couldn`t tell what the individual measurements were. I think what would be the most important measurement for me would be the base to the top of the opened grill so I can determine how high the shelf would need to be to insure that the gap where the lid closes is above the top of my table...hope I didn`t confuse things even worse....I know I can get the diameter from the website but I have never seen the dimensions for just the bottom section of the egg as if the top were open....
    If I made the lower shelf the exact measurement as the lower half of the egg it would work perfectly by adding a 1" or 1 1/2" block under the egg itself..[p]Sorry..and Thanks
    Wess

WessB, you're right on. That's pretty much the way I measured it and it cam out right. Any lower and I wouldn't be able to open my dome all the way (at least with the autolock).

WessB, I see what you mean..scrambled egg all over the place..funny!! Check my post up above for the info..
    Chow..
    C~W[p]