Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gill temp/dome temp question

swamprb
swamprb Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Decided to do a 2.5lb pork loin indirect. Cleaned out ash,load the lump and light the pile with my weed torch in @ 4 spots with slide open and damper off until smoke is clear @10min open the lid and set the plate setter legs up with drip pan and set loin on grill and get cookin. Now the dome temp hovers @5-550F and I set an oven thermo on the grill and its @350 steady. Anyway, I check to see if the dome Thermo(BGE) is calibrated,it is, so I go with the grill temp and the loin turns out OK. Does this sound normal? A digital thermo w/probes are on my list. Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    swamprb,[p]While that was a pretty large temperature spread, I could imagine it happening. For instance, with the fire started in 4 places, it should have been burning quite hot. If the plate setter was placed so that there was a gap letting hot air stream up from a hot spot to the dome thermometer, the temp reading should be quite hot. Above the plate setter, and near the meat, the temp would be a lot cooler. If the vents were mostly open for the duration, you might have had a steady stream of hot air rising from the top, while the meat was sitting in a "shadow."[p]Going with the grill, and checking the meat temperature seems the most reliable way to go.[p]gdenby
  • gdenby,I probably started the fire in too many spots and got the egg too hot to bring down because I had a 400F dome temp 2hrs after I shut all vents down, I'd lift the lid to check the gaskets and come back and its up to 400 again. I'll make another attempt tonight.