Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate temp vs. dome temp

Options
FSUScotsman
FSUScotsman Posts: 754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I grilled a couple of pork chops tonight that turned out to be the best I've ever had. While I had the egg going I had planned to do a fatty. I read the recipe on the Playing with Fire site and it suggested about 250 degrees grate temp. What does that translate to for dome temp?

Also what is the best way to get a really low temp going...leave just a little opening at the bottom or top?

Comments

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Hey Scotsman....well a really low grate temp for me would be 180ish. Open the damper
    less than 1/4" and the vent about the same. You can tweak it from there. That should give you a good low burn. Good Luck. P7010587.JPG
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    That is about where everything wound up. The fatty ended up done with an internal temp of about 190 in about two hours. I'm sure I had the temp too high, because a couple of times I had the BGE thermometer reading at about 300. I was doing a yo-yo thing--up down, up down with the temp trying to get to a place where it read 250. After hours or so I checked the internal temp and got that 190 reading and realized it was a lost cause last night.

Well, it's a learning process, and the more I cook the more I'll learn....I HOPE!!!! I just hope I don't gain 50 pounds in the process. I did two really nice center cuts last night intending to save one for later in the week. Needless to say, that later in the week meal no longer exists!!!! :blush: