Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite way to cook drumsticks?

Options
ronbeaux
ronbeaux Posts: 988
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
drumsticks.jpg
<p />Craving chicken drumsticks today so I just put these on. EVOO and spice rub cooking direct on a raised grid at 250 with some pecan chips thrown in for smoke.[p]Any other ideas? Sure would like to hear them.

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Hey they really good. Your request for chicken legs. I chop of the bottom "knuckle bone", and then push allof the chicken down to the meaty part. This forms into a ball. I then heat a stick of butter and blend in a bottle of Hot Sauce and marinate the Chicken balls for 1-2 hours (the longer in the marinade the spicier it will be. I then smoke them for about 2 hours at 275 degrees. Since you have removed the meat from the chicken bone this eliminated the greasy feel of the leg. I always get requests for these during the Polo season. Great for any tailgathing cause the fingers do not get too greasy . Have never had complaints during Steeler Games either, they go great with Iron City and Yuengling. Yes, we can know get them in the South.
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    ronbeaux, I just posted a response on .net for you

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    drstcks2.jpg
    <p />ronbeaux,
    I cooked these last week. Soaked in buttermilk for 1 hour then Swamp Venom.
    250 raised grid. I'm a fan of fruit woods.[p]Mike

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    Got it. Great idea! I'll give it a go.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    ChickenBone.jpg
    <p />One of my favorites...... Hot Legs![p]ChefRd's Hot Wing recipe works great on legs. They don't need sauce but if you want, a little Crystals hot sauce or Blues Hog brushed on a few minutes before pulling off is pretty darn good, too.[p]john
    [ul][li]Follow this recipe...[/ul]
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    That sounds good! I kept mine mild since the Miss's don't like hot food, and she's from Louisiana!! If it were just me, look out![p]Another one on my list to try.

• ronbeaux,[p]Hey Ron, cornstarch mixed with the rub and bag it with the chix and shake till covered. Comes out nice and crispy! Make sure skin is on![p]Aloha,[p]Greg

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]That is such a great pic!!!

• Eroc
    Eroc Posts: 53
    Options
    chigginlegz.jpg
    <p />ronbeaux,
    I usually marinade them in some Goya Mojo marinade (look in the mexican section at the store) for 4-5 hours, take them out, and let them dry off on a tray in the fridge for a while, them hit them up with some dry rub, I prefer DP's Shakin The Tree, or John Henry's Texas Chicken tickler.
    Then i go with a raised grid with a foil covered drip pan underneath, and cook them from 250-300 for 35-50 minutes.
    sometimes, I'll remove the raised grid and drip pan (carefully) at the end, and finish them for a few minutes direct on the lower grid; and serve them with sauce on the side(Bob Gibson White sauce if I have any).
    I use hickory, cherry, apple, or pecan wood.[p]