Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yo meatcutter...pork riblets..or anyone?

Options
DTM
DTM Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
tried BBQ search....I tried google advanced on rbjb.com and biggreenegg.com. I know this has been discussed but I couldn't find it and the local store is advertising "Fresh Pork Riblets, Previously Frozen".
10 lbs for $11.
I'm thinking this is a Danish product.
I remember something about feather bones.
Darin I just remembered ask a buthcher so you'll see this question twice. Sorry darin mozilla blew up going to microsoft email.
Anyone else? Experience? How to cook?
Thanks
DTM

Comments

• Yo Dan, I answered your question on the BBQ Forum. There is some more information on riblets that I didn't post over there that can be found by clicking the link below.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy
    [ul][li]Riblet Thread[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    b6139abf.jpg
    <p />DTM,
    the butcher near me buys the country rib loin roast and cuts off part of the longer rib that is attached leaving about 2 inches with the roast, and 1.5 to 2 inch strips of riblets. this end of the loin has much more fat than whats sold on a typical loin roast and i think the flavor is better. he cuts these on tuesday and they go quickly, i have to ask for the riblets ahead of time
    riblets002.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • And they look mighty good, Fishlessman![p]Lager,[p]Juggy
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Whatever you do, hang on to that butcher.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    thirdeye,
    old style butcher shop,well worn squeekey wooden floors hand made wooden shelves, 3 generations working the place from garandma in her 80's down to the 20 year old granddaughter. they make meat pies every morning which draws in the crowds. no real expensive cuts, just good quality day to day stuff. im a pork pie regular, and they treat me well, putting stuff aside for me during the week etc. there sausage makes the best fatties as well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye,[p]If one were to go to the butcher what/how would he ask for these. My dad loves the Applebee's style riblets and I would really like to do that style for him.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    FSUScotsman,[p]I mean no disrespect to butchers and meat cutters in general, we have several meat shops/processors with excellent meat cutters, but in some of the stores where I shop, the only blade the meat department handles is a box cutter. So ....just to play it safe, I'd print out fishlessmans pictures and take them to your store.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]
    GOOD IDEA!!!

• FSUScotsman,
    In case you need the Applebee's Riblet recipe, it is under "A" page 2. Hope you dad enjoys!

[ul][li]http://www.recipegoldmine.com/classyclones/classyclones.html[/ul]
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Now those look great. I have a feeling what the local mercantile is hawking won't equal your pic. But I'll take a chance and report back. Thx for the info.
    DTM

• Richard,[p]OH WOW!!! Thanks a lot!!!! This is great!!! Now I just have to find someone that can cut the meat!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Richard,
    MAN THANKS FOR THAT LINK I STORED IT IN MY FAVORITES FOR IDEADS
    THANKS AGAIN HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND
    TERRY

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Here's my favorite part.........[p]"Put ribs in a large pot with enough water to cover them. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour or until ribs are fork tender."[p]Let's not forget this part either..........[p]"Heat broiler. Line broiler with foil for easy cleanup. Place ribs, meat side down, on broiler pan, brush with 1/2 the sauce and broil 4-5 inches from heat source for 6 to 7 minutes. Turn ribs over , brush with remaining sauce and broil 6 to 7 minutes longer or until edges are slightly charred."[p]But then again, this IS a recipe for APPLEBEE'S ribs, so if that is what you want, go for it.........[p]Lager,[p]Juggy[p][p]
    [ul][li]Applebee's Rib Recipe[/ul]