Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs on the menu....again

Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The ribs are seasoned and waiting in the fridge. Tomorrow I will try,
try, and if I have to, try again. Going to start at 1:00 tomorrow, cook at 250* for one hour, flip, cook another hour, put in foil and cook one more hour. Then direct for 10 minutes after removing from foil. I am going to try the Bamabob method.
I want to thank everyone for their e-mails and encouragements. Hopefully tomorrow will truly be a Super Sunday if these things come out alright. I have wings ready as a backup if they don't.
Thanks
Jake

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Orio Kid,
    Throw the foil away. You do NOT need it.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    JJ,
    Damn it you are ready to screw up again.

• JJ,[p]Hey JJ, when I was a newbie on the forum I was impressed with the patience and kind words folks here used on new people like me.[p]This harshing business would have set me back days, if not months. [p]Char Buddy

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Orio Kid,
    I have done various rib attempts as per just about everyone on here's recipes (thanks JJ, the rub is ALWAYS awesome!) And as it turns out, the ribs will turn out differing only by taste. I guess our favorite method is using GFW's method with the foil as you've just described. I say this because this method tends to tenderize it just a little more by holding the rendered grease in the meat during the foil process and makes them juicier. The final step lets the excess fat drip off so that they're not disgustingly nasty. During this final step, I also take the opportunity to mop on some sauce. I must say that my father-in-law prefers the anti-foil method, my wife prefers the foiled method. Try both and decide for yourself. My ABSOLUTE favorite is country style ribs done indirectly. I could eat my weight in those things! Yes, the foil is cheatin' but it's not cheatin' as bad as boilin' the danged things!!! That's how all of the local steak houses do them and they stink. I've been thinking about starting up my own eatery some day with the real thing.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    09_10_0017_33_01_small.jpg
    <p />JJ, one of the nice things about cooking on the egg is that we can each do it our way - take a method or recipe and change it to meet our tastes - personally, I use the 3/1/1.5 method almost every time and always with perfect results. About the only variance comes in the last 1.5 hours![p]Based on your past posts, I know that you haven't tried it - so why do you consistently consider something useless just because it isn’t your way. Several people have tried it and were pleased with the results. [p]Jerky is on the BGE and I don't do that the conventional way either - Have a nice SuperBowl Sunday!
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Orio Kid, I haven't seen BamaBobs exact recipe, but it you are doing the ribs indirect at 250 degrees, you may want to add a little more time - I generally do 250 indirect for 3 hours, 1 hour in foil also at 250, and finally between 45 and 90 minutes at the end. Last 30 minutes direct and that's where I add the BBQ sauce if used. [p]The link below will take you to a great BBQ sauce recipe that tastes great and quick to fix - perfect for ribs. I'll be doing a double batch this afternoon.

[ul][li]BBQ Sauce[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Orio Kid,[p]I gotta agree with JJ to some degree. The recipe you described will not be very good (IMHO). 3 hrs and 10 min will not cook those ribs at 250 deg. Trust me. I don't know where you got that recipe but you want a combination more like the ones below if you do part of the cook in foil:[p]3-1-1
    2.5-1.5-1
    3-1.5-.5[p]Those times are for baby backs and spares might go longer by 20-40 min. The time "direct" after the foil is important and you need more than 10 min!! The ribs are pretty wet and yucky looking after the foil and 40-60 min is needed to dry them a little and firm up the meat. I also use the time to burn on some sauce for the last 40-60 min. You will note in the pictures from the link below that the ribs look burnt - they are not but the sugar in the sauce is and its what I wanted. Add sauce to your tatse.[p]Try the 3-1.5-1 method and you will probably like it - I do, but also try 4.5hr indirect with no foil. Add sauce for the last 30-40 min and cook at 250-275. These are my two favorite methods of doing ribs (mostly only do baby backs).[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim does 3-1-1.5 baby back ribs[/ul]
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Orio Kid,
    Hey! sorry I caused a riot,I just cooked spare ribs the way I did out of "iggnerance" and cause the turn out good to eat,maybe they are good to us cause we ain't never et no super good un's.The next batch I cook I'm gonna go the 3/1 1/2/1,Least I'll know if'en I been cheatin' my taste buds these last several cooks.If they turn out better tasting,I'll let you know ,if I make a bunch of lump charib,I'll also let you know! :-) Bob (ps.I ain't tellin' nobody else no secret recipes till I see how bad I messed up.)