Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Platesetter...

Options
Lucky Duck
Lucky Duck Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally recieved my platesetter for my XL. I am very surprized at the shallowness of it as it is inverted. Hardly room for alum. foil much less a pan. I have a large too and that works very well. [p]A Q. for the wise... How is the shallow platesetter handled? No pan? A piece of alum. foil alone. Make a mess and scrape it off later?[p]Phil D' Surprized Duck

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Lucky Duck,
    You can use something like a foli-lined pizza pan, or you can take out the fire ring and put the PS on the fire box with the fire ring going in on top of PS......

• Lucky Duck
    Options
    egret,
    Do I suppose correctly that proper heat will roast evenly on the bottom w/ a very shallow pan? Or When setting the PS under the fire, that will somewhat limit the amt. of lump under it. I'll be doing an all nighter and wouldn't want to add lump. Hmmmm.[p]Thanks for the input![p]Phil, D' grateful Duck

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Lucky Duck,[p] I ordered an 18" 3/4 inch deep pizza pan. It sits on the plate setter and the grate is stable on it. [p] I haven't tried putting it between the fire box and the fire ring yet.[p]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Lucky Duck,[p] I do over nighters just filling lump up level with the top of the fire box. If you put the plate setter on top of the firebox with the feet down you'll have plenty of room for lump for an overnight cook.[p]
  • Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks very much... Got a handle on it.. Though I'm a little worried about the amt. of lump for an overnighter... The XL is SOOOO shallow in the fire box. I wonder why they designed it that way? Why not like the large where there is a ton of room? But who am I?[p]Phil, D' appreciative Duck

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    LUCKT DUCK,
    The XL holds over 10 lbs of lump and will burn for over 24 hours.You will have fun playing with it.
    Larry

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    LUCKT DUCK,[p] It weighs 200 pounds NOW. How much do you think it would weigh if it was a proportional height as the Large...[p] Trust me fill the firebox with lump and make sure you set it off evenly all around. I did a 9 hour low and slo three weeks ago and when I removed the pork I pumped up the heat to 375 and baked some sweet taters and some ABT's.. Even after I shut it down I had enough lump to cook a 5 pound leg of lamb and some more sweet taters the following week-end. [p]
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Lucky Duck,[p]First let me say I don't own or have I ever even seen a XL.[p]That being said, there was a post within the last week or two that suggested putting the plate setter on top of the fire box and then putting the fire ring on top of the plate setter legs. That should give you enough clearance Clarence.[p]E