Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

EW Brisket Question

RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, it has been well over a year since Elder Ward posted his World Class Brisket Recipe and I am finally going to give it a try.[p]Here is the question, at 275 am I cooking with direct heat or am I adding firebricks to make it indirect?[p]I am heading down to the market to get a nice brisket now.[p]Happy Smoking,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I always cook briskets indirect at about 200-225. No reason for that low, just how I learned to cook them and I feel comfortable with it. I think NB and others cook them at about 250 or so indirect also. Never tried a brisket direct, too worried about drying things out for that length of time over the fire. At 200-225 indirect I go about 2 1/2 to 3 hours a pound. Good luck with the brisket, sure makes some good eats.[p]Troy
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,291
    RhumAndJerk,
    When I did his recipe, I compromised because I was askeered to try direct. I cooked mine elevated over a naked pizza stone. A 7 pounder took 10 hours. Slightly different texture than the low/slo version, but suprisingly tender and tasty. I brought it to a party wrapped in foil/cooler, and served about 3 hours after I pulled it off. Was gone within 20 minutes of unwrapping![p]Have fun! where is our pal Elder anywho?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    I just returned from the Market with a 3.75 lb. Choice Flat. It has a nice fat cap but is otherwise very lean. I just drapes over my hands when I hold it. I just made the rub and guess that I will try it direct exactly like EW suggests. I need to send Elder Ward an email and see where he has been.[p]I will let everyone know how it turns out.
    RhumAndJerk

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    sprinter, I am with you on the indirect! [p]Temperature is choice up to 275F. With a ceramic mass you might be able to go even higher for a heavier crust exterior. Never pushed it there yet myself.
    I used to think chicken was best at 350 in my early cooks, but then I pushed the limits to see what the 400 to 500 range would do, and I was surprised with the results.
    Cheers..
    C~W

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,291
    Hey seedub,
    Have you noticed the totally unique smell that comes from the egg at stabilized temps over 400?? Like the smell you get when cooking pizza. A nice clean burn, and good even heat applied to your subject. I love cooking chicken pieces at 450 over a drip pan of water.
    Life is most shweeeet. Heeeeee!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Nature Boy, in that range with peanut oil coating, its not baked anymore, its broiled chicken..much like KC Fried, but better. Much faster and crisper. Only over a ceramic mass/drip pan tho. Otherwise...heeeeyaaaaaa. call the fire department.