Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shaking the Spares

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the good part about this weekend is that I got to stay home and get some much needed work around the house done. This also meant that I could cook all weekend long.
Starting with Saturday morning here was the menu.[p]Saturday:
Breakfast: Buckwheat Pancakes, bacon and eggs
Lunch: Bread, cheese and fruit on the way home from the market
Dinner: Paella

Sunday:
Breakfast: Coffee and Doughnuts (OK, backed off on this one)
Lunch: Homemade Mufellattas, Minestrone soup and potato chips
Dinner: Shrimp and Grits[p]Monday:
Breakfast: Ham and Red-Eye Gravy, Eggs and Hashbrowns
Lunch: Homemade Mufellattas and potato chips (so good we did it again)
Dinner: Spare Ribs, Sweet Corn and Fresh Green Beans

Here is the nice part about the ribs; I used DP Shake the Trees. I generously coated the ribs with the rub and rolled them up. The ribs went on about 11:30 AM over some maple and apple chunks. I let my Medium come up to temperature slowly over the next half hour to about 250. I then let everything sit for about the next five and a half hours. That is the great thing about rolling the ribs, you don’t have to touch them or even open the BGE until it is time eat. [p]The ribs came out perfect. I love the slight citrus bite that Shake the Trees gave and there was also a pleasant sweetness that complimented the flavor of the meat nicely. The maple and apple smoke gave the ribs a nice reddish hue. Overall, these were some of the best ribs that I have made in a long time.[p]I think I gained five pounds this weekend.
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• George
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]do you just roll them up, and pin them together somehow? then you just leave them on the egg for 5 hours or so? no foil or anything like that?[p]does it make them fall-off-the-bone tender, or is there still some "bite" to them? are they more dried out than with the foil method?[p]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    george,
    I use about six bamboo skewers at various angles to make a cylinder and yes I just leave the ribs on the BGE for somewhere between five and six hours without doing anything more. Using this method, you can fit an entire rack on a Small or Mini BGE. Although babybacks work on the mini better but I have done it. I do not use a drip pan or anything. I just put the ribs directly on the grid. [p]The meat is not dry because I never open the egg to let out and moisture. The meat pulls away cleaning from the bone, but does not fall off the bone like steamed or boiled ribs. Cooking ribs like this is probably my most stress free and easy cook that I do on the Egg as it is very time forgiving. If you are not ready to eat in five hours you will be in six. I can even walk away for a couple of hours and not worry.[p]Give it a try sometime,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Just to clarify, you're cooking the ribs direct, not using a plate setter?

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Tim ,
    Correct.
    R&J