Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Smoked Brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have any recommendations on killer, melt in your mouth, pulled smoked brisked. I know brisket is traditionally a tough meat, but I've graduated on from the Boston Butt and am feeling dangerous. Please let me know what dome temp, what size brisket, and any other useful information you can think of to cook a pulled brisket. I've heard about the sliced variety, but I want to step my game up a notch and go for the gold. So if you have any suggestions on how to get brisket to pull like "pulled pork", let me know.[p]Best regards,[p]The Gator Griller

Comments

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    "The Gator Griller" ,A search of the forum will find many recipes for brisket. Seems to me brisket should be sliced; why would you want "pulled" brisket? I'd guess all'd you have to do is cook it to oblivion.
  • SouthOfI10
    Options
    "The Gator Griller" , what you might want to try is pulled "chuck". It's one of my favorites, and IMHO, better than pulled pork (cooks faster, too!). And I think that you may have a hard time getting brisket to pull. Not saying that a lot of the more experienced guys and gals on this forum couldn't do it, but even melt in your mouth brisket probably won't pull like the fattier cuts. Below is my setup for boneless chuck that I swiped from someone here.
    DSC00175.jpg
    I cook just like a butt, but take it off at ~175-185F or when the probe feels like it's in Jello and wrap for a spell. Then, pull and mix with your favorite sauce. Mmmmmmmmm.[p]Good luck,[p]Scott

• SouthOfI10,[p]Scott, that does look awfully tempting. What size and kind of cut, what dome temp, and how do you serve it?[p]Best regards,[p]Derek
  • "The Gator Griller" ,
    I agree with fro cho - Brisket is for slicing nirvana. Best beef for "pulling" is actually a chuck roast. Great flavor, right texture (stringy) and fat content for a lo and slo. Roasts are typically 3-4 lbs and will cook in 6-10 hours using a pork butt set-up, 250ish dome, indirect over a drip pan, internal to 190-200, rub of choice (DP Cowlick or Red Eye work great). I use Jack daniels wood chips (my favorite for beef), wrap and rest for one hour when done. Pulls like pork - tender, moist, succulent. Mix in and top with a little of your favorite Q-sauce. Delish and done in half the time of a butt (due to smallersize). IMHO still plays second fiddle to pulled pig but I've had rave reviews. Good luck!

• jwirlwind
    Options
    "The Gator Griller" ,
    When you think it is done around 200 degrees, pull it behind your pick up truck and that should do it. Other wise, enjoy the chewing. [p]Chef Jerry
    Bad luck with brisket.
    Exception, I can do a really good pastrami with corn beef brisket.

• Did three nice big briskets Friday night, put on about 5:00pm, thought 1 1/2 hours per pound. Checked on them about 6:30am Saturday, the largest one was 205 internal. I put them in a Cambro for a couple of hours to rest, we sliced them all about 9:00am for our tailgater. Even though we sliced them really thick they were falling apart, more like pot roast. Covered them with some Big Bob Gibson's and took to the tailgater. Everyone thought they were great, Raising the Steaks rub is a bomb on brisket. Give my friends enough free beer and everything tastes great and looks hot!
  • SouthOfI10
    Options
    The Gator Griller, I generally get whatever Publix here in Atlanta has cut, 3-4lb roast. Most of the time it's boneless, but sometimes not. Both are fine. I inject with ~90:10 of beef broth and Dale's seasoning (if you haven't used it, it's a soy based marinade, really salty) right before cooking. Then rub with EVOO and either DP Cow Lick (Thanks, Chris) or just Kosher salt and cracked pepper. 1/2 pack of Hormel Black Label bacon draped over the top. 250 dome until 160F internal. Wrap in foil with 1/2cup 50:50 Maple syrup and water. Put back on and let it go until it "feels right". Internal temps range from 175-185F. Crumble the yummy bacon in with the pulled beef if you can pass it up! I'm lazy on sauce, so you may want to ask others here. I mix Stubbs' and Sweet Baby Rays. Pretty tasty. If you can do pulled pork, this will be a breeze...

• Lucky Duck
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Who has the (a) recipe for pastrami? And what is it? I thought I'd best be specific as some smart 'SS might give me the WHO and not the WHAT.[p]Phil, D' ever so grateful Duck