Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try pizza

Options
Rick G
Rick G Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picture126.jpg
<p />Well I finally made some pies on the Egg. They turned out really good. The only thing is....I noticed on the second pie that the bottom of the crust was nice and crisp and the toppings were nice and melty but the dough in between the bottom and top seemed to be a little on the raw side. Not too raw to eat, just a little soft. Any advice from you pizza experts????

Comments

• Rick G,[p]I have found that if I heat up my pizza stone while I am heating up my egg that works better than putting on a cold stone on. I usually will bake my pizzas about 500 degrees for about 30 - 40 mins. I hope this helps.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Rick G,
    That looks great,you have a lot of goodies on the pie.I would suggest that you bake the dough with a little of the sauce on it for five minutes then take out of the egg and put your toppings on and cook till done.

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    Totally agree with this strategy. I pre-cook some of my ingredients in a pan first (sausage, etc.) Then I bake the dough like Rick G says. And go from there.[p]Part of the challenge with pizzas is moisture management. Instead of baking everything at once, it's better to treat it like a typical recipe--cook the slowest ingredients first, and add the faster ones towards the end.
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    darnoc,
    Man, nice pic!! Pizza for breakfast anyone?

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    70f6c737.jpg
    <p />Rick G,
    I can't tell how thick your pie crust is in the picture. I usually make mine pretty thin. I don't have problems with under cooked dough because I cook at 500 degrees for about 10/12 minutes. Your setup looked good so maybe it's the thickness of your dough. I don't pre cook the dough. I just don't overload the pizza with ingrediants. Hope this helps. Good luck, Tom

• BajaTom,[p]Your crust is too PERFECTLY round. What's with that? I know you said you don't prebake, but was it a premade crust or something? Or, do you just have OCD? Looks almost like a fajita shell. Looks very good, though.[p]Gas
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Gaspar,
    I didn't mean to mislead anyone. That is a premade pizza crust. I usually make my own dough but that is the only picture I have of pizza. My point was the thickness of the crust may contribute to under cooking the crust while the toppings were completely done. My scracth crust are never round or perfect. Thanks, Tom