Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip cook, need some input...ping Morro Bay Rich

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before getting the egg, I smoked in a Brinkman smoker that had a pan for the coals, a pan for water and then two gril levels. Although I didn't know it at the time, I guess this set up is called a water smoker. Instead of using water, I used my left over marinade and added water prior to and during the cook as it evaporated. I smoked it for 6 hours at 210 using the built in thermometer. I have no idea how accurate it is. I can't say it's the best tri-tip I have ever had, but it was real close. The stuff was awesome and I could produce it consistently.[p]So I get my egg and what do I want to try smoking? A tri-tip of course. I cooked the meat for 6 hours at 225 using my BBQ guru I got used off ebay. I am now a dizzy pig devotee and used that, as well as my tried and true marinade. The meat sat in the marinade for about 16 hours. The meat turned out edible and I had a nice smoke ring, but couldn't really taste my marinade. The meat reminded me more of pot roast then it did tri-tip and I had to add salsa to it to make it enjoyable. It wasn't the driest tri-tip I've had, but it was close.[p]So what's my question? It's obvious the differences between the two smokers, the water (or in my case marinade/water mix) and the other obvious differences. Also, the Brinkman set up would be considered indirect cooking, right? So if I want to add a water component to my egg so that I can try to duplicate my previous outcomes, what have you eggers done to acomplish this. Any input, advise, ideas are totally welcome. Is a plate setter what I need? This is only my 4th cook on the egg so mold me oh wise ones. I want that tri-tip juicy and probably more rare than how it turned out. Maybe Morro Bay Rich can help me out, I graduated from Morro Bay High and I'm a tri-tip fanatic as many are from that area of California![p]Thanks all for help!
Toby

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Toby,[p] PLATE SETTER :).[p] I don't beleive Tri-Tip need to cook for 6 hours. It is a rather lean cut of meat and should come to temp a lot quicker.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Toby,
    I do my tri-tips @ 350 direct, flipping once during the cook, and pull them off at 135 internal. Then I rest them under foil for 15 minutes or so. I'm not sure that this cut benefiets from being cooked low and slow. -RP

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Toby,
    I use the plate setter for almost all of my cooks. I don't use a water pan for most cooks, but sitting a pan on top of the plate setter is the way to go. I am going to do some ribbs in a couple of days and I usually put apple juice in a pan on the plate setter. When I take the ribbs out after two or three hours to foil them, I use the drippings and whatever is left of the apple juice to make a sauce for basting near the end of the ribb cook. Personally I haven't had too many problems with meat not being moist other then brisket which I don't care to do anymore. You should be using an internal probe to be sure you don't over cook the interior of the meat. [p]Chef Jerry

• Toby,
    Here is Morro Bay's Eggs bythe Bay recipe.
    Beef, Tri-Tip, Santa Maria Style
    [p]2 3 Lbs. Each tri-tip roasts
    ********Seasoning Salt Mixture********
    2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 tsp white pepper
    2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp onion powder
    4 Tbs granulated garlic
    6 Tbs salt
    Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl
    ********Basting Sauce*********
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup garlic-infused vegetable oil
    Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

1 Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.
    2 This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.
    3 I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Miller aka "Morro Bay Rich"[p]Source: Eggsbythebay, Morro Bay Rich, '06

[p]

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Richard,
    Beat me to it. As noted in the link, this is a very close recipe for what is served here in San Luis Obispo County. On the link, the tri-tip is the top right hand picture. I love it and it appeard from the response at the Egg-by-the-Bay Eggfest they liked it too. At least they at up 25 lbs worth. I never stopped cooking long enough to enjoy what everyone else was doing.[p]BTW, it's sunny, 62 degrees and the Pacific looks wonderful ;-)[p]Regards from Morro Bay, CA,
    Morro Bay Rich

[ul][li]Santa Maria Style Tri-tip[/ul]
  • Big Hoser
    Big Hoser Posts: 104
    Options
    Toby,[p]I assume you want to smoke tri-tip at low-n-slow to get the most smoke infused in the meat. I too tried this in the past (smoking for several hours) and the meat turned out mushy (not dried out as you got). So, what I do now is sort of a reverse T-Rex: I smoke the roast over Jack Daniel's oak chips for about 1 1/2-2 hours at 250 dome temp, pull the meat and open the vents to get the Egg to 700+, then sear until you bring the internal temp to 135 (something like 2 minutes per side). The searing seals in the juices and smoke flavor and gives you a nice crust with your rub. I don't bother with a drip pan, just direct over the coals the whole time. [p]Happy Egging.[p]Dan

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    tritip2.jpg
    <p />Toby,
    I'm more of a 325 direct guy. Pull at 135, marinate in EVOO then rub down with Cowlick.
    tritip3.jpg[p]Mike

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, Sear? Or whole time at 325°? I do mine pretty much the way you do on the grill except mine spends about 20 minutes in the vacuum tumbler with some brisket marinade. I was amazed at how much it swells.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Toby,
    I just did two of them last week, I do mine low and slow till 125 and remove and rest for about 15 minutes, then I sear it. It was great, one to eat right then and the other to slice off right out of the fridge, man that nice eating

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    sigmore,
    The whole time at 325. It bellies up better than I do at the bar. LOL
    Tell me more about the vac tumbler.[p]Mike

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, It's one of those Reveos. Holds up to #5. Commercial that size is around 800 bucks. Found it on E-Bay for 150. Everybody else wants about 200. I use mine a lot, meats, poultry, got some boneless chops going in right now.