Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
Jay Brilliant
Jay Brilliant Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to be cooking a prime rib roast for the first time. I'm probably going to sear it at 500 and then let it rest and finish it on the egg at 325. My question is I would like to use the guru for the long part of the cook, but I want to make sure I dont fry the cables. Has anyone used the guru after I high sear, and if so was there any problems with the probes burning due to risidual heat from the high temp part of the cook. I know the probes are supposed to be good up til 400 but I wasn't sure if there would be an issue using it after the grill was hot.

Comments

• md01.jpg
    <p />Jaybblues,
    Yumm sounds good.
    I had no problem using the guru at 325 but would probably not do it again. Just make sure you drop the temp down first :)[p]Now I would use an instant read thermometer to check the meat temp and pull when it was perfect.
    Since getting a Thermapen I now only use my guru for long cooks. The egg is very easy to set at 325 using just the vents.

• Jay Brilliant
    Options
    hayonker, Thanks for the feedback, that pic looks amazing, I'm might take your advise and not use the Guru, but that brings me to another question, I recently T'rexed somed steaks and let the grill get up to high my dome said 700 but I know it was much hotter because my gasket fried. I calibrated the thermometer in boiling water. But when I did a pork shoulder using the guru, I had the guru probe attached to one of those probe trees, and my dome was reading between 40 and 70 degrees hotter then the guru. So I'm worried that my bge thermometer is off. Do you have a large gap in temps when you use your guru?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    7c5d8921.jpg
    <p />Jaybblues,[p]With the holidays just around the corner, this is a perfect time to fine tune your prime rib skills. I'm with hayonker, you don't need the Guru on such a short cook but do use a cable thermometer like a polder so you can monitor the cook. You don't want to overshoot your target temp on a rib roast. Plus, if the temp starts to climb too fast for your schedule, you can ramp down the cooker temp.[p]This one was taken off at 125°.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I'm with the other guys....I don't have a Guru....But don't think you need it on a "hot-n-fast" cook that's ideal when doing a prime rib.....I did a prime rib yesterday at 350 - 375 and it came out really nicely....Don't think the 500 degree sear is necessary....but that's just me....[p]My lovely wife Karen makes a killer garlic paste.....which involves a food processor....several large garlic cloves...some sea salt....some cracked pepper....and some EVOO....and maybe a dash or two of your favorite rub.....a few quick pulses on the processor....and Voila!....You've got a great paste to slater that beast with...and that makes for an awesome crust......[p]Prime rib is an easy cook....cook indirect.....and get ready for the best beef you've ever eaten!! The BGE is a Prime Rib Machine! Have fun![p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    I fried the wires to a Maverick a couple of years ago when the prime rib fat cap CAUGHT ON FIRE. Quite the exciting time, but damn good result -- best prime rib I've ever had. I've done them since without the excitement of almost burning the house down, and it still wasn't as good as that first time.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    eddiemac,[p]Actually, when I said "short cook" I didn't mean hot or fast. I cook mine around 225°. 67d07b7e.gif [p]However, anyway you like to cook them, they still only take a few hours, which is short in barbecue time.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    I have had success with the prime rib cooking it dome temp from 250 - 275. Since I am cooking it indirect I just put an old fashioned meat thermometer in it. Because the ceramic retains the heat so well, checking it does not present a problem. When the internal gets to about 130 I take it off and tent it. I take off all the indirect stuff and get the egg up to about 600. And then I put the roast back on for about 2 1/2 min a side. Because it is on such a short time the sear at the end of the cook doesn't affect the internal temp at all. You get better smoke penetration doing it this way and it is much easier to bring the temp up than down.
    billyg