Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eggtoberfest egg transport

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How are people planning on transporting eggs back home after eggtoberfest. I have signed up for an XL and will most likely be driving a small pickup. Plan on bringing a couple of blankets for padding and probably standing in the corner of the truck with some rachet tie down straps to secure it. Any opinions. Have to drive a couple of hours home mostly on 4 lane then up dirt road to my house which will be a very slow deliberate trip.

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    UGAVET,
    Sounds like a plan. Gut it, strap it, and promise buddies near your home free food to help you unload it. I'm sure you will come back with knowledge and recipes to please all.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    UGAVET,
    The XL is very heavy so I'd break er down for the ride in your truck, take the bands off and load the base upside down, the lid and inside parts resting separately all on thick blankets and strapped in. Easy enough to re-assemble and your new egg will be ready for a lifetime of BBQ bliss. Have fun and good luck!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    UGAVET,[p] I moved my XL across country and all I ever did was remove it from it's nest when I first bought it at Eggs by the Bay Eggfest. [p] I had plenty of help getting it in the moving rental truck. It survived an accident in Bakersfield, CA and was moved to a new truck with lots of hands. It wasn't till I tried to take it off the truck by myself that Humpty took it's great fall.[p] Because of it's size it is rather easy to get a good grip on it for two people to pick it up and move it, but DO NOT do it by yourself.. 200 pounds is a lot of weight to try and hold up.[p] You will have plenty of help at the Eggfest to load it. As was suggested offer your neighbors some good food to help you off load it. Just get it off the truck before you hand them a beer :)[p]
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    i have seen the pictures of your egg on the threads. I do not want to repeat that scene.