Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
put a 12 lb brisket on this morning at 5:00. constant temp at 225 and
7 hrs later it is at 165. time to wrap and put back in the egg??, or wait another 5 degrees or so??. smells delish.[p]i have owned an egg for several yrs, but just started smoking indirect w/ a plate setter and drip pan. up until the last month, i just used the egg to grill burgers, chik and steaks. this forum has really helped me learn how to smoke ribs, brisket, chik, and wings.[p]thanks

Comments

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    rick morris,[p]If you have the time skip the foil and let it go till it is done...[p]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    rick morris,[p] I'd bring it up to 190-200 before removing it from the Egg. 170 will still be awfully tough.
  • rick morris, an internal temp between 165 and 175 degrees is just right to double wrap the brisket in foil and finish cooking it to an internal temp of about 195*. You've cooked it low and slow long enough; after wrapping it you can run the cooking temp up to 300* to finish it -- in the egg or in the oven. This way, you will finish cooking it much faster, so keep a close eye on your internal meat temperature. Trust me on this, finishing at 300* in foil is ok -- I've cooked a zillion of them that way. But remember, after you open the foil to let it cool, don't slice it until it has rested for about a half hour -- and slice it from the side of the flat end that is cutting across the grain, not with the grain.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    rick morris,[p]An awful lot of folks are foiling at 165° or so with great results. I agree with Chuck on the bump in temperature to finish hot if you need to, but I wait until the plateau has broken. As far as resting time in a cooler, if I can go 3 hours I do it.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • rick morris, well, how did it turn out?