Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall off the bone ribs...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked some baby back ribs over the weekend. I used apple wood chunks, smoked it for 3 hours(indirect with pan of apple juice under) at 250, removed, wrapped in foil with some apple juice in the foil, cooked for 1 hour at 250, removed from foil cooked on grill each side for about 30 mins and in the last 15 applied sauce. The meat was great but not fall off the bone tender. What did I miss?[p]Thanks, this is my first post but a long time lurker.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Eric from VA,[p]I for one do not like the meat fo fall off the bone, rather pull off with just a little effort (but that's me).[p]You may try to go just a little longer in the foil (maybe 15-30 minutes).[p]Smokey
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Eric from VA,
    you could either add the applejuice hot to the foil so that it will start steming faster, or cook it in the foil longer. check for doneness before removing from the foil as the last stage is to firm them back up. i normally cook ribs direct, but that should give you what your looking for

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    'Tis true...the longer in the foil....the more tender they get...HOWEVER...they can also become mushy....and that's probably not what you're looking for....Experiment a little more....As for me....I like to tug on mine just a bit.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    ribcollage2.jpg
    <p />Eric from VA,[p]Try the link below. I don't do foil anymore after reading how the Dizzy Dudes do they're ribs, and when I use this method I get "on-the-bone" tender ribs, just how I like them.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
    [ul][li]Good Ribs, the Easy Way[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Eric from VA,[p]Your temp and times seem about right, so I don't think that's it. I've never used liquid in my Eggs drip pan so there is an outside chance it stole some of the heat while it was comming up to temp. I think it is more likely your time in the foil step was not long enough for the finished texture you wanted. There is one more important thing, did you have the ribs meat side down in the foil? You want it in contact with the juices.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]Yes I did have it meatdside down. I think everyone is correct, my foil time wasn't long enough.[p]Another quick question. Does removing the membrane have much of an effect? I couldn't pull it off to save my life. I didn't want to start hacking away at it and ruin the meat.[p]Thanks for everyones advice.
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Eric from VA, yes it's important. Check out WessB's site, he has a good tutorial.

[ul][li]Baby Back ribs and prep[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    42ab65d8.jpg
    <p />Eric from VA,[p]Yes removing it is worth the time. Sometimes BB's have it already removed. It is easy to locate in one of the corners. This picture is of a slab of spares, but you get the idea.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Lucky Duck
    Options
    eddiemac,
    I agree totally with the tug a little style of ribs, a tiny bit of eating off the bone. Slipping off the bone seems a bit... slippery to me.
    I don't do the foil any more. 5 hours and off. The more you do, a style will formed and become yours. [p]Phil, D'Duck

• Eric from VA,[p]Did you place the meat face down into the liquid? Also, need to make sure the grill temp (not dome) is 250 so you braise the ribs. Also, the 1 hr in foil is just a guideline. You will need to open the foil and check for tenderness as they may require another 15-30 minutes.[p]Howard