Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Yo, Dr Chicken and/or anybody who has tried it...

I'm gonna do your rib roast this weekend and would just as soon use kosher salt instead of rock salt. Since the crust is a cast off anyway would it make any difference?

Comments

• PainterPainter Posts: 464
    one feral kat,Worked for me. Go for it.
  • one feral kat,
    I don't have an answer for you Kat! I have started using ice cream salt instead of rock salt, and that works well! Just like the rock salt, but clear crystals with no unsightly black specks. I did talk with 2 different salt manufacturers here in Kansas and the said the rock salt has dark specks in it from the processing. Nothing to hurt using it! But, I don't like the black specks in it either, so I've switched to ice cream salt.
    BTW, I use abut 1 to 2 cups of the salt crystals to cover a 5 lb prime rib roast. You probably caught that the other day in an earlier post![p]Good luck, and let us know how it turns out![p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dr. Chicken, you guys are gonna force me to post the salt crust recipe. Do ya want it?
    C~W

• Char-Woody,
    You bet! I'm always looking for new or better recipes! You can e-mail me if you want to![p]Dr. Chicken