Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Yo, Dr Chicken and/or anybody who has tried it...

I'm gonna do your rib roast this weekend and would just as soon use kosher salt instead of rock salt. Since the crust is a cast off anyway would it make any difference?
·

Comments

• PainterPainter Posts: 464
    one feral kat,Worked for me. Go for it.
    ·
  • one feral kat,
    I don't have an answer for you Kat! I have started using ice cream salt instead of rock salt, and that works well! Just like the rock salt, but clear crystals with no unsightly black specks. I did talk with 2 different salt manufacturers here in Kansas and the said the rock salt has dark specks in it from the processing. Nothing to hurt using it! But, I don't like the black specks in it either, so I've switched to ice cream salt.
    BTW, I use abut 1 to 2 cups of the salt crystals to cover a 5 lb prime rib roast. You probably caught that the other day in an earlier post![p]Good luck, and let us know how it turns out![p]Dr. Chicken

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dr. Chicken, you guys are gonna force me to post the salt crust recipe. Do ya want it?
    C~W

·
  • Char-Woody,
    You bet! I'm always looking for new or better recipes! You can e-mail me if you want to![p]Dr. Chicken

·