Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

What is the Auto-Lock Band Upgrade?

MatanuskaMatanuska Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The manual that came with my brand new large BGE refers to this as an upgrade to the "Standard Band". Looks like the "Auto-Lock" has a latch lever at the hinge.

I'm assuming my large BGE has the "Standard Band", but I don't understand the instructions for it that say:

"Raise lid with one hand on wooden handle, and pull left and right hinge supports foward with your other hand. The ash tool may be used for leverage. .... The lid is not locked unless you do this."

Likewise:

"To close, hold wood handle with one hand and push hinge supports away from you."

My "standard" hinge supports don't move forward or backward. Was this an old style hinge design & the manual is just out of date (rev 3/99)?

What about the "Auto-Lock" upgrade? Is it still available?

Comments

• Yes, it'sl talking about an old hinge. You should have a spring assist band.

Register your egg and use the forum for help. Most of the data in that book are obsolete and/or incorrect.

Fill your firebox all the way up & let it burn clean before adding food.
  • Thanks, BB.

I thought that might be the case.

All the way to the top, or just over the holes? Do you usually top off your firebox each time you cook?

I've noticed I seem to get a hotter, more stable fire faster if I've topped off the charcoal first, rather than just lighting what's left over from last time.
  • I fill it to the very top of the firebox and never let it get below 3/4 to 1/2 full. This works well for most day to day cooks.

For overnight cooks, you will want to remove all left overs to a sifting bucket, clean out the egg and carefully build a fire for overnight cooking. You can "top" that fire with the leftovers once you have built the fire above the holes so they will not get clogged. I suggest getting a BBQ Guru if you plan on overnight cooks.