Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beware - Easy Start Charcoal

Options
ArvadaMan
ArvadaMan Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a few bags of Best of the West "Easy Start Charcoal" from the bargin bin of the local Kroger's late last year. I am finishing up the last bag tonight. It did start easy but has been smoking for over 30 minutes now. With regular lump, I might get less than 5 minutes of smoking. This is insane. I checked the website and found out it is indeed coated with a layer of parafin (sp). I am suprised that the neighbors have not called the local fire department or police yet.[p]Stay away from this stuff. It smells terrible and smokes like crazy.[p]I might get to cook in an hour or so if the fire ever burns clean.

Comments

• ArvadaMan
    Options
    Here is the stuff to stay away from.
    The product on the left.[p]http://www.twotreesproducts.com/charcoal_selfstarting.asp[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    When you were starting it, did you leave the lid of your Egg open? Charcoal like this needs plenty of air so that the parafin will completely combust. I've used something similar to this in an open grill, and there was no smoking to speak of. Also, it is probably really meant to be used in an open grill where all the charcoal will be burning. In the Egg, only part of the charcoal is every burning at one time and thus you won't burn off all the parafin before you want to cook.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • ArvadaMan
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I expect it was for an open grill. I did not read the bag carefully to see that it contained parafin. I left the lid open for a while but it started to smoke a lot as the flames subsided. It also sparked a bit so I closed the lid to contain the sparks. This caused more smoke.

It has finally stopped smoking approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes after lighting.[p]I guess I learned that lesson the hard way.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    you can use it up by using a few pieces to start your fire, mixed into the regular stuff

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante