Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooked again....

Options
Newbs
Newbs Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my large since February of this year. I've cooked so many tasty things since then that I've even repeated some of the cooks a second, or third time. I LOVE my BGE and I love the way that everything has turned out after cooking it on the egg.....until now.
For the second time since February, I've cooked my gasket. The first time was due to a minor lid misalignment and it happened almost immediately after I got it. The dealer was great about it. They removed the crispy gasket, replaced it with a nice new one and aligned the lid so that it was seated properly. All good. Now, only five short months later, my second gasket is fried and the tell-tale smoke is leaking from the side where the gasket is crisp. Am I doing something wrong or is this just normal wear and tear? I can replace it but will I be doing this again 5 months down the road? I've read the post on TNW site about the rutland gasket which seems to be significantly more sturdy but that there could be some issues about having food in close proximity to that gasket. I've also read that the BGE folks have a new and more durable gasket. Thoughts? Comments?[p]John
Hamilton, ON

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    That does seem a bit odd, John. Perhaps some more details of what, how and at what temps you are cooking at can give us something to speculate with. I know in my case my first gasket lasted about a year and a half. My second didn't make a month, but I'm fairly sure that was because I didn't install it properly. My third refused to stick, so I went Rutland. How about some more info to work with on your case.[p]Kelly
  • Newbs
    Options
    Sure thing Kelly but I don't know how much help I can be.
    I can't point to any specific incident that fried the gasket.
    It did seem to be installed properly. I've done dozens and dozens of cooks in the past five months so providing details about the temps that I've used would cover everything from 200 to 750-800. I don't keep the lid open while I sear steaks other than to flip or remove the meat, of course. I've cooked all kinds of things from cornbread muffins, pizza,bread, steaks, roast beef, pork tenderloin, pork loin roasts, boston butt, pork shoulder steaks, chicken breasts, thighs, whole both spatchcocked and beer butt, burgers, meatloaf, ABT's, hot dogs, you name it. My large gets a workout, for sure with no fewer than 3 cooks a week but the gaskets should last longer than 5 months during this kind of use, should they not? [p]John
    Hamilton, ON

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Newbs,
    I don't understand all these burnt gaskets. I have had my egg for almost 9 years and it still has the original gasket. I do low and slow often as well as 660 to 700 degree steak cooks. The only thing different about my egg from some others is that it was assembled by the dealer. They insisted on that because they say most people don't get the lid lined up and tightened correctly. Maybr I'm just lucky. Knock on wood. Good luck, Tom

• Newbs
    Options
    Hi Tom,[p]My egg was assembled by the dealer. Perhaps your dealer had more experience than mine did. Dunno.[p]John
    Hamilton, ON

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    Newbs,
    Will it hold a low Tempature, if so don't worry about the smoke. Last time I put on a new Gasket I put two on the bottom nothing on the top. So far still going Unless I'm trying to clean the black off the sides I don't try to get the Egg that hot. When I want to clean it put a lot of lump in it and let it go, gets very hot and turn's white and needs a new Gasket. Gene

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Newbs,
    i have 3 eggs, one has a rutland, and the other 2 have gaskets that are so fried, that i dont really believe that there even is a gasket there any more. as the gasket burned, i reset the dome to lessen the gap. they leak, but can still hold low temps of 145 for low and slow jerky cooks. the only thing i can see that the gasket does is cushion the dome if your prone to dropping it. my gaskets havent been a problem since they burned away and i dont miss them

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Newbs
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks. I'll reset the dome if I have problems holding lower temps.[p]John
    Hamilton, ON