Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork Shank

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever smoked a pork shank?[p]Would appreciate anyone telling me the difference between a pork shank, pork shoulder and a Boston/picnic butt?[p]Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    BGE666,[p]I have had beef shanks but don't much care for it. Shanks are the ankles or part of the front legs. 90% bone.[p]A pork shoulder is actually two cuts (the boston butt and the picnic). The butt (no where near the rear end) is used for pulled pork and has a shoulder blade in it. Sometimes its called a blade roast too. The picnic has one large bone running thru it and it is used for sliced pork but works fine for pulled pork too. [p]Tim
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    BGE666,[p]A pork shank is the lower leg of the pig from the knee to just above the hock (ankle). It is typically cut crosswise to from round cuts from 1-2" thick. The meat is tough and the cook should be lower and longer. Braising is a common cooking method.[p]A pork shoulder, picnic, or picnic shoulder is the upper front leg of the pig from just above the knee joint to just below the shoulder joint. The meat is also tough, containing a lot of collegen. A low and slow cook tenderizes it quite well.[p]A pork butt, or Boston butt is from the area just above the shoulder joint of the pig. It cooks like a picnic.[p]Spin
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Tim M,[p]That was a photo finish. You got me by a hair![p]Spin