Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pittsburgh steak

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is one of my Big Green egg cook book. Ate one in Boston last year but can't find recipe for it.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    barry wood,[p]If you define it as a bleeding rare CHARRED steak, you have the right cooker. You'll need to run in excess of 1000* and have meat at least 1.5 inches thick. If we are on the same page so far, 2-3 minutes per side and NO dwell will do it. These are a favorite here.[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    steak2.jpg
    <p />barry wood,[p]I like my steaks Pittsburged and I like them pink in the middle but not blood red raw. I do filet mignon almost 99% so fattier cuts might take less time. Mine are also 2" thick and anything under 1" will never make it since the center will cook too fast.[p]I get my small Egg upto 600-700 deg and sear until done. No Dwell just sear. I usually do something like 5-4-1-1 or something like that. It's black outside and very pink inside. Times are too short to measure but a good quick reading thermometer is important to avoid guessing. If you're using a med or large Egg, then 700-800 deg would work best (or hotter if you care to). [p]After the first couple flips I take a reading on a steak to check for doneness (as in the picture).[p]Tim