Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

auto lock

Options
hounddog
hounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am curious about pre auto lock setup. [p]Does the lid stay open when you open it? [p]I have noted in the discussion about autolocks that a number of folks with older models are happy with their existing setup, and I was wondering how that setup works. Regardless of the pros and cons of the new autolock I am trying to imagine whether i would be happy with an egg that didn't stay open when I opened it, unless perhaps it was installed in a table where I could get a two by four or something and brace it open. [p]Anyway, just wondering.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    hounddog,[p]I upgraded my large to the autolock about 14 months ago. The original hinge system is the same as is used on all of the smaller Eggs. The lid locks open with each side locking and unlocking independantly (you have to pull each hinge to unlock it).[p]I upgraded because the autolock opens the dome much wider and have had no problems with it. I look forward to an autolock for the small Egg.[p]Spin
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    OldHinges.jpg
    <p />hounddog, my medium has the old bands - they work great - I've never had a problem opening, leaving open or closing - maybe they work better on the medium than on the large - in fact if you look at the picture you'll also notice that they aren't locked - the only time they close is when I use one hand to close the lid.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I have the old setup on my large & it works fine. I wouldn't consider changing until the new design is proven.[p]Mine used to stay open whithout locking them as well, then I made the mistake of oiling the hinge :^)[p]Kevin